How2 - Fit a Vectra steering wheel with radio controls

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

dave's.veccy

How2 - Fit a Vectra steering wheel with radio controls

Post by dave's.veccy »

First most Important step, disconnect the battery and go have a cupper, dinner/lunch etc to discharge the SRS airbag module which contains capacitors

This is what i had to do to fit a Vectra wheel into the Cavalier i had at the time, some items may vary dependant on age of car removed from. Wheel was from a N reg Vectra and to be fitted into a M reg Cavalier

To do the conversion, all of the following is required:-

Vectra steering wheel with controls, try to get one from a Gls or higher so you get a nice leather wheel
squib
squib mount from the Vectra (part with the wiper/indicator stalks)
wiring plug with a few inches of wiring for the squib
2x lengths of wire long enough to reach from the squib to the radio
signal box compatable for your stereo and the small connection loom (costs around £40)

You may notice, for the illumination, the wiring colours will either be red/white or grey/green dependant on age

After waiting at least half an hour for the SRS unit to discharge

Remove the Old airbag wheel, squib and the squib mount, Refer to the trusty haynes if unsure...

It should leave you with this....

Which needs swapping for the Vectra Item

What you may find is that the Vectra item doesnt fit, which is what happened to me so i set about modifing it so the Vectra squib can clip onto the Cavalier squib mount. Notice i have removed the brass pin and the bits both sides, for the bottom i cut the 2 screw support bits for the lower clips to go on

My Modified Cavalier Item

Join the cav squib connector to the veccy squib and extend the blue/red
and grey/green or red/white remote wires long enough to reach the back of the stereo.
This you may find different connecftors on the Cavalier squib but wiring is the same

refit the squib and run the remote wires to the stereo, I used a metal coat hanger to thread the wires through the dash

Fit the Vectra wheel and plug the airbag back in.

Working at the stereo end, wire the blue/red wire to the top left wire on the power iso plug or connect straight to the signal box. Wire the red/white or grey/green wire to either the ignition feed which is black on the iso plug or if preferred, to your dash lights which is also grey/green. Connect the signal box to your stereo and refit the stereo.

The wiring diagram....

Reconnect the battery, turn on your ignition and stereo. With any luck all should be working :D

Now you can put your car back together if all works

Usuall stuff

DONT forget to disconnect the battery and leave for half an hour
as this is a safety related item, use heat shrink and solder for the connections ONLY
If your unsure or have doubts, dont do it or ask me nicely and ill assist providing you come to me
If you are to dispose of the old airbag, you need to seek advise on disposal as it is an explosive
Dont be too alarmed either if the dealer refuses to rectify a airbag light if improper fitment has taken place due to it being a modification with a safety item

But by all means dont be affraid to do the above, i dont want to scare anyone!

Finally, if the car catches fire or the airbag goes off due to not sticking to the above, i take no liability to any actions carried out!
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: How2 - Fit a Vectra steering wheel with radio controls

Post by humbucker »

Please click the following link to discuss this How2 guide:

Discussion: Fit a Vectra steering wheel...:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6406