Remembering the first Total Vauxhall cover car: Cavalier SRi

A series of posts detailing magazine articles and media appearances that feature club cars

Moderator: James McGrath

humbucker
Club Admin

Remembering the first Total Vauxhall cover car: Cavalier SRi

Post by humbucker »

Ooh, lookie here! It's the first-ever Total Vauxhall cover star!

Printed in 2001, the debut edition of the magazine featured a gold Mk3 Cavalier 16-valve SRi hatchback complete with period body modifications. To celebrate the mag's 125th issue, the editor is trying to find out what has happened to this car. It hasn't been taxed since 2008. The chances of it surviving to the present day are arguably slim, but perhaps you know of this Cavalier's whereabouts?!

"The car was owned by a Mr Simon Hudson, and it has Vauxhall Performance Car Club stickers in the window. Are you Simon, or do you know him? Did you end up owning this car later on?" Let us know!
gsi pie

Re: Remembering the first Total Vauxhall cover car: Cavalier

Post by gsi pie »

i like it :)

but as you say it was all the rage back then, bodykits and being different is what it was all about ,getting noticed etc :)
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

gsi pie wrote:i like it :)

but as you say it was all the rage back then, bodykits and being different is what it was all about ,getting noticed etc :)
+1...

Like it bar the plated over indi's on the front..
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
planetc

Post by planetc »

Tone down the oversized bumpers and lose the eyebrows and it could be quite nice.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I think the bonnet and hatch "mods" are rather gahey!
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Back in the day yes minter! but looking back its like looking at old hair cuts noooo!!
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
Ads

Post by Ads »

this was my old sri/turbo from a few years back

all the body work was smoothed,back bumper blended into the rear quarters, no door handle, door work on poppers off my remote,, and the paintwork was jungle green with coloured sparkly bits in, it took 12 coats of laquer to get it smooth, it looked awsome in the sunlight , uprated let engine, 270bhp and 345 lbs/ft of torque, on 12psi of boost, awsome car, not my cup of tea now, but back in the day, ads
nutty.sri

Post by nutty.sri »

I last owned this car in 2008. Sadly was Broken. It was hit buy a hit and run driver The gold cavalier.
Cavalier-C20LET

Post by Cavalier-C20LET »

that would explain why nobodys seen it

i remember buying the first issue just because of that cav loved it back then i bought every mag after that so if it wasnt that cav i maybe wouldnt have bought t.v lol

shame its gone. did you build the car mate?
nutty.sri

Post by nutty.sri »

No it was done when i got it. Sold all the parts off it. So it didant go to wast.
SRi_stu

Post by SRi_stu »

I remember that car, not from 2001 though, found that copy in a mates garage a few years ago, its probably better now its broken :lol:
I'm sure it was great 10 years ago and you've got to admire the work thats gone into it but i hate big ugly bodykits.
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

that style was all the rage at the time and probably looked stunning at shows back then
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

I don't like it at all!

The finish looks good and looks like it was done really well but in terms of style it is extremely outdated, even back then imo.

Cars of that era do not go well having huge wheels and bodykits. You just can't get the same effect as you would with newer cars. Even trying to do the whole black roof/black bonnet and another colour for the rest of the car. It doesn't work and just looks like it's got replacement panels.

At the end of the day... it's all down to personal taste and whatever rocks your boat :)
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

I remember that I bought that issue was still a teenager to had just left school awesome back then and I'm sorry lads I think if it was still around I think it could still pull it off! I want that roof spoiler for mine :cool
[center]Image
[/center]
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

not my cuppa im afraid,straight away instantly thought of the 5gt turbo,s in the ali G movie :lol: was all the rage in the ninetys.ive always prefered sutle looks
longman

Post by longman »

It's abit OTT but I think I like it for that reason. I can also apprieciate the man hours which must have gone into it.

Sad that so many of these old Cover cars get broken and not kept.

I think how the bootlid partially covers the rear lights is a nice touch too.

Ad
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

my mate (some of you might know him as PVO_Dave owner of vxon) had a diamond black GSi many moons ago when they weren't so oooold and he fit impreza fogs, widemouth bumper and a ridiculously big evo spoiler to his. i was never down with the 'overstated' look back then, in fact i loved it when it was standard on bigger wheels, but back then it was what everyone was doing, at the height of the 'nova gets a bad rep' era. he did send me some pics a little while ago when we were reminiscing about our old cars, i'll see if i can find em. like the orange cav above, it was definitely of its time. i wonder if its still about and what it looks like now...
cav24v

Post by cav24v »

:thumb