Modification to move bonnet release cable to Left Side

Post queries regarding Mk3 Cavalier general maintenance and servicing here
cavalier1990

Modification to move bonnet release cable to Left Side

Post by cavalier1990 »

Thought this might be a useful tip for anyone wanting to try it out. On UK cavs the release cable lever is located on the right side of the car and therefore has to loop it's way all around the engine bay, through all the pipes, hoses, brake pipes etc. from right to left, down the inner wing, round the battery, then into the front slam panel. This long cable with lots of bends and twists results in the cable catching on things under the bonnet, including being pinched under the LH strut mount as well as more chance of stretching and breaking.

When car is stationary there is a gap under the LH strut mounting plate, it gets caught under here and when the car moves, the plate moves up and down and flattens the cable as it pinches under it. It also can get caught up or sit over the battery, aming battery removal an added pain, in some cases, and is generally a pain to keep properly secured due to the pulling action when you have to heave the release lever.

What you can do is get a left hand drive cable and fit that on the left side of the footwell, ok not as convenient perhaps to reach from drivers seat, but it takes away all those problems listed above and the cable for the left side is much shorter and has a much easier route to the front panel.

I had this fitted on my old cavy and the effort on the lever to release the bonnet is much much less. It also takes away the lever from the drivers side giving you a wee bit more foot room, should you need it. I still have the cable somewhere and am going to replace it on my current cav. There is no bodging required as the mounting point for the cable is there on the passenger footwell. This is a bit of a fiddly job to clip in but worth it in the long run. Lastly just bung up the old hole on the RH side and if I remember rightly there is either a plugged bung on the LH of the bulkhead or it went through another existing hole quite easily.

Cable number is: 90159584
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Modification to move bonnet release cable to Left Side

Post by Robsey »

I recall you mentioning this last year.
Very interesting.

Does this mean you will be doing a How 2, complete with glossy pictures?
:D

Definitely worth considering moving my cable, so that I can retro-fit cruise control and auto lights wiring through the grommet / hole in the bulkhead.
Hmmm --------

:mrgreen:
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:I recall you mentioning this last year.
Very interesting.

Does this mean you will be doing a How 2, complete with glossy pictures?
:D

Definitely worth considering moving my cable, so that I can retro-fit cruise control and auto lights wiring through the grommet / hole in the bulkhead.
Hmmm --------

:mrgreen:
I do remember mentioning it somewhere on here before but thought I'd make dedicated thread for it, or can move to how 2 once I get a few pics up with it. Once I find the old cable that is, or get a new one!

I personally found it easier in a way to get the bonnet open as my car was always parked near side to the garage, so only had to go in the passenger door to open it rather than walk round the other side - yes I am that lazy!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I've had 3 cavaliers and never had an issue with the hood release cable being anywhere near strut towers or battery, and I've never heard of it on any other cavaliers I've come across. Are you sure it's not just a badly routed cable which a previous owner has done on your particular car?

Yes they can stretch over time but that is usually a simple fix with one screw on the slam panel.

Virtually all new cars have the release handles on the nearside which is deeply annoying if you cannot reach it from the driver's position. Not really sure about how moving it over would be an advantage in any way. Sorry to sound so blunt but I don't see what this achieves.

Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

The euro car have the release leaver on the otherwide. There was was article on this ... I remember reading it

It's an upgrade some of uk drivers are doing - saves the cable from stretching and fiddling it through

I've got a couple in the garage - boxed somewhere....
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I replaced the cable on mine because it just wouldn't work anymore.
That was the moment I realised I had put-off fitting a new cable too long :lol: I didn't realise I'd miss it so much. it was so far down the "to list" :roll:

The fix works a limited number of times, then you have to unclip the lever and pull the cable by it, each time more forcefully.
Before you know It, It's too stretched to work.
By then the cable was tight on the battery though no strut mount problems. ( previous cav included ).

In my mind a 'mod' is something that changes a car from original spec. and stamps the owners individuality on it. For me shorter cable = less leverage required-makes sense.
I would have considered this option had I known about it at the time although I wouldn't have chosen it, sadly. I'm a minority :lol:

I don't know about anyone else but I open the bonnet from outside the car and find it really easy because I'm left-handed.
serious but silly questions :oops:
Do right-handers sit down to open the bonnet or adapt and, would it be more natural if the lever was nearside? If so a mod like this could possibly be considered a gain :scratch
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Interesting post! My release has always been tighter than I think it should although the bonnet end has always been well lubricated.
I've never removed it to investigate though, perhaps I should!
I am right handed and operate it with left if outside car or right when seated in.

Alan