Cavalier Mk3 2.0Gls Hatch 1993

Post queries regarding Mk3 Cavalier general maintenance and servicing here
Dave Cav

Cavalier Mk3 2.0Gls Hatch 1993

Post by Dave Cav »

hello folks, was wondering if anyone can guide me as to where i can find a replacement Alternator for my car. so far i have found little info other than i should be looking for one for an Astra???? and it has a 100amp output with a six rib belt drive.Not got to the stage of taking the old one off as yet but between myself and an ex mechanic neighbor we have diagnosed no output from the alternator..ie, engine warning light came on, in forth gear the car was still running fine, asi slowed down to take a turn and then second gear, engine started playing up and trying to stall, pulled in to side of road and engine cut out, tried to restart but seemed like my battery was flat, ignition just clicking.i was on a slight downward hill so coasted a wee bit and managed to jump start in motion, that got me limping home and again at higher revs it seemed engine all good bus as i slowed and selected lower gear it kept wanting to cut out, got it home eventually. used my volt meter on battery and showed 11,9 volts, managed to start the car ten minutes later and it all seemed good,no red engine warning light, tested the battery again while engine running and this time showed 10.3. after about ten minutes the engine cut out on its own accord and when i tried to restart it was back to flat battery symtoms ,back on with the volt meter and now showing 9.1 and as i mentioned, not starting. the battery is one of those decent yusa ones and only replaced before last winter.otherwise the car is perfect and almost a daily driver because i alternate between that and another 1991 cavalier Mk3 every month.can anyone confirm i am on the right track and point me towards a suitable replacement Alternator.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Cavalier Mk3 2.0Gls Hatch 1993

Post by Robsey »

Looking at EPC, the correct part numbers for a 100 amp alternator with the multi-vee serpentine drive belt are:-

3 493 823 with ident QY
It is a Delco Remy type alternator for the C18NZ and all 2 litre units.

There is a Bosch 100 amp for the C25XE engines.
Part number 90 444 194.
Ident is PT
Later replaced by 9 117 934

Plus a Delco-Remy unit for the C25XE.
3 493 814 with ident RB.
Replaced by 10 457 917.
---------------------------------------

As for the battery - yes Yuasa is a great make, but the only way to know for sure is to give the battery a thorough charge and a couple of drop tests.

Ideally a full charge,
Drop test
Full charge
Drop test
Full charge
Drop test.

I am told a three cycle test is the most thorough, but will take almost a week to complete properly.
Dave Cav

Post by Dave Cav »

thank you for the reply. i put my battery on charge over night, no worries all good again reading 12.8 volts
dont think that will be enough to run the car to mechanic shop so looks like i will be replacing alternator roadside lol
back to the good old days but wont use bricks etc to hold the car up like i did in my teens lol
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

I've just sourced a new alternator for my Cav V6 C25XE from Rollco (www.rollco.co.uk), although it appears to be a Delco unit. This was priced at £86 for a brand new unit which I thought was pretty good. May be worth searching for one for your 2L Cav on this site?
All I've got to do now is fit the darn thing. I know it's possible because I've done it before, but with the V6 engine access from the top is impossible. Instead you have to jack up the car high on axle stands, remove the entire exhaust front pipe assembly, struggle with the two bolts made virtually inaccessible by the heat shield over the alternator, disconnect the electrical leads while balancing the alternator somehow and then drop it out from the bottom, manoevering it past the drive shaft. Fitting the new one is, in the usual words from the Haynes manual, "the reverse of the removal".
I'm still steeling myself up to tackle this job. One possible problem is the studs on the 2 (front & back) manifolds that secure the exhaust assembly could well shear off when I try to remove the nuts. I'll then be faced with drilling them out, laying on my back holding a power drill above my head. Happy days!
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic