Pressure plate clamps

Post queries regarding Mk3 Cavalier general maintenance and servicing here
bigsilver

Pressure plate clamps

Post by bigsilver »

Where can I get pressure plate clamps tool number KM526A , tried vauxhall car accessories shop also autovaux no avail. Any one know where to get them
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Pressure plate clamps

Post by Robsey »

Your local auto factors stock them.
Not too expensive.
Think I paid £5 or so for a set a few years ago.

Only really useful if you have a bell housing with the clutch / flywheel access panel, and an old style flat flywheel.
(Probably pre-October 92 cars with F16 and F20 gearboxes).

The F18 gearbox does not have the panel, and usually has the recessed pot flywheel, which means it is a gearbox off job.
Most late 92 onward cars should have the pot flywheel fitted.
bigsilver

Post by bigsilver »

Got a set off a guy in a garage. ayre mine has access inspection plate F20 BOX cheers robsey also ordered a new clutch cable n spark plug leads
bigsilver

Post by bigsilver »

I've took off the both plates to notice that the pressure plate that is on the flywheel is half the thickness of the one I've purchased also the one that's on there is no space to put in clamps as can't really see the springs as u can with new pressure plate which is thicker. Been told I've got a pot flywheel
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Oh eck -
Could be a lot more involved, as it will be a box off job.

Not as quick or easy as the flat flywheel,
But not mega difficult.
Even with a flat flyeheel, you need to: -
1 - remove the gearbox end plate (5 speed models) or blanking plug (4 speed models).
2 - remove a circlip and withdraw the output shaft to clear the clutch and release bearing.

Plenty of faffing.

With the box off method, you will need to: -
1 - pull out the drive shafts from the differential.
2 - disconnect the gear linkage
3 - undo the gear box mounting.
4 - drop the box out.
Good easy access then to the flywheel and clutch kit parts.

Then put it all back together again.

Whilst the box is off, it is a good idea to pull out, clean, re-lube and refit the clutch release arm.

One thing i did when I did my clutch in 2012, was to replace the rear crankshaft bearing seal hidden behind the flywheel.

I tried to do everything at once, as I didn't want to strip it off again for another 70 to 80 thousand miles.

Instead of 20 minutes of the old style easy method, it will probably take 2 hours on the drive.
bigsilver

Post by bigsilver »

Cheers for the info robsey, Al start stripping it on Sunday and wait for clutch replacement hopefully to arrive . I contacted auto vaux he said send it bk to be inspected and will exchange if gd to go . bought that 3yrs ago new it was ready to go but hardly used the car fingers crossed