The humble Garibaldi

Mk3 Cavalier fans are known to love a slab of cake and a cup of tea from time to time. Oh, and biscuits!
humbucker
Club Admin

The humble Garibaldi

Post by humbucker »

I fear that the Garibaldi is notable by a lack of mention on this forum. Allow me to reverse the situation. Garibaldi.

Fact: I once convinced a co-worker that Garibaldis were invented during the First World War ("when food didn't need to taste of anything") and that their thin, rectangular design was an effort by the government to ensure that each Garibaldi biscuit could be placed inside a regular envelope and posted to starving allied troops who were serving on the front line. "Germans charged with intercepting mail sent to British soldiers would often detect Garibaldis hidden within the ordinary-looking envelopes. The enemy would then eat the discovered biscuits, which is why the war dragged on much longer than anticipated - each side had bags of Garibaldi-generated energy with which to carry on fighting."
Cavalier342

Re: The humble Garibaldi

Post by Cavalier342 »

Nice bit of history there, however I am not a fan of Gary Bolds myself unfortunately.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

They are aweful!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

They always remind me of the staff room at work.

It's not that we don't get any other biscuits, but it tends to be only ones available in abundance as no bugger will eat them.

Personally I think they are underrated.
colin1

Post by colin1 »

You used to get them in Army ration packs in packs of 5 in a green foil wrapper, no idea if you still do

They were referred to as 'dead fly biscuits'. A pack of those with a brew and you could close your eyes and you were almost back home on your sofa it felt so civilised.
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

+1 for the deadfly biscuit!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS