How to remove the rear door window winder handles? Help!

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
GLC

How to remove the rear door window winder handles? Help!

Post by GLC »

Maybe It's just me as I did manage to previously remove them without any bother over 3 years ago but tried to the other day at a breakers yard as I wanted the door cards an can't seem to locate the locking pin on the reverse with my trim clip remover tool or a flat blade screwdriver etheir?

Want to go back there asap before they weight it in an don't have much spare cash etheir an don't want to snap the winder handles off as I want to remove them correctly so I can do the same on my car and have them as spares.

Any help appricated going back tomorrow regardless of this weather so if I can't suss it out I'll have to break them off the scrapper for now but rather I didn't as I said!

Cheers.
Cavalier342

Re: How to remove the rear door window winder handles? Help!

Post by Cavalier342 »

They are bastards to get off, I was fiddling forever. They say to do it from inside the door card but getting to it without breaking the door card in half is impossible. It's like a small circlip, pain in the ass to get off. good luck is all I can say....
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
GLC

Post by GLC »

Thank's mate I just been talking to my brother and remenber why I got them off so easy first time round on my car. They hadn't got the circlip on them! Of course I put them back on. :( I'll try and have a look at my car in a bit while it's stopped raining an see if I can get mine off without breaking them or otherwise I'll be :evil:
GLC

Post by GLC »

Just managed to get mine off! :D As you said bit of fiddle to put it mildly. The trim clip tool remover proved to be the win on this one. Seams if you have the winderhandle sitting upwards stright towards the roof then the circlip is facing upards meaning the ends are to the left and right of the centre. If you place one of the forks of the trim clip asume it would work with a flatblade screwdriver too to etheir side then if you move the handle side to side you should after a while! Catch the end of the circlip enough to push it away an loosen it so you can prise it out to remove the handle. You do need to have the trim clip tool really as it has a 45bend on the handle which means unlike the screwdriver you can get a flush fit onto the circlip as it fitted tight against the back of the handle an is hard to locate.

Don't know if to anybody this makes sence at all it would help if I had the family camera to borrow to help explain as well but it's in Spain at the mo. ;)

Hope them doorcards are still there tomorrow now after all this intacted and they come off without any dramas. Oh and it isn't raining too would be a big help. ;)
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I know exactly what you mean, I was thinking that too actually, pushing the 2 ends of the circlip apart. Thanks for the tip, next time I try to do that, I'll be sure to remember.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

I've used a old rag in the past, put the centre of the rag behind the winder and pull it eachway (like a saw motion) whilst pulling down on the rag, the circlip catches on the rag, opens up and then falls/pings out,

my dad showed me and ive always done it that way, some are abit more awkward than others but its always worked eventually
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Ive got the tool it takes seconds.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Gaz wrote:Ive got the tool it takes seconds.
Mine must be better than yours, it only takes a second!
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

mine was about £2
mini paul

Post by mini paul »

Easy when you know how,i rememebr my very first try many years ago lol but now its done in a sec :)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I use the rag method... normally have the clip off in about 5 seconds or so.

I just press the door card in, to open up the gap behind the little plastic collar -
This usually exposes the circlip to my trusty rag - mwuhahahahahaarrr!!! :twisted: :p
Gray16v

Post by Gray16v »

Old rag method, used to use it when I worked at the main dealers, can even use bubble wrap !
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

mini paul wrote:Easy when you know how,i rememebr my very first try many years ago lol but now its done in a sec :)
How true.
"Redefining success since 1981"