How to take apart center console?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
ronnie1995

How to take apart center console?

Post by ronnie1995 »

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out by telling me how to take apart the centre console in order to replace the bulb for the controls and to sort out the fan speed settings which only work on the top two high speeds.

Thanks in advance.
Spectralcav

Re: How to take apart center console?

Post by Spectralcav »

Fan symptoms usually down to a blown resistor (attached to the blower motor underneath the scuttle). If the resistor's blown, the cause is often a worn blower motor - try turning it by hand; the fan should turn smoothly and easily. You could replace the resistor which will make the fan work normally on all speeds, but after a short time it will blow again if the motor's worn.

Heater control bulb has never worked in my car - seems quite a bit of effort required to change it and I've just never got round to it :oops:
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: How to take apart center console?

Post by Robsey »

Top two speeds, sounds like two options..

a) Faulty resister pack or
b) dirty copper tracks (strips) within the fan switch.

I have had both of these faults.

To remove the heater panelis a total ball ache, but is as follows.

1) Unscrew the two halves of the steering collumn cowling - 5 x No2 philips screws.
3 on the underside of the bottom half of the cowling, and 2 in the front of the cowling behind plastic cover caps. - Remove the two cowling panels.

2) Flex the lower half of the instrument panel cover trim. Flex it out towards you at the centre, and the ends will unclip from either end. Remove the strip and put it aside.

3)This exposes a philips screw at each end of the upper trim. undo these. and remove the upper trim panel.

4a) Pull away the plastic trim from the front of you clock - to the left of the heater panel.
4b) Remove your clock / Dual Info Display / Board computer - disconnect the plug

5) Undo the two screws at the rear of the clock aperture and the one remaining screw at the instrument cluster end.

6) Now for the ball ache - The heater panel will not move far at this point, as there are three bowden cables holding it back.

7) You may find it better to remove the glove box, to access the air distribution flaps / cables. - disconnect these two cables from the air-box end.

8) The heat control cable runs down the right side of the centre console, and down to the left side of the driver's footwell, just above the card-board trim.
It is upto you which end you disconnect - I recommend disconnecting at the heater panel end.

9) The heater panel can now be removed - disconect the loom to the bottom of the unit, where the fan speed wheel is located.

10) Now that the heater panel is out, you will see that there is one poxy bulb that illuminated the whole panel - "very badly".

11) The fan speed switch can be unclipped from the heater panel. (disconnect the white conector with 2 x purple wires on for the heater illumination. The switch extracts from the rear of the heater panel.

12) Split the rotary switch - Undo the little tangs from their respective loops, you will also need to snap off the end of a plastic rod that passes through the midle of the switch body. It is melted / heat formed down at the ends to hold the two halves together.

13) Using brake cleaner spray or similar, clean all the dirt / clogged up grease off the contact strips, and if needs be clean off any scorch or burn marks from the contact faces with emery cloth or wire wool.

14) Rebuild your switch, and bond your two halves together... you can use PVC tape for this (wrapped round the two switch halves as required)
I used 3mm dia ABS plastic welding rod, and melted the ends down to clamp the two halves together.

15) Now you can rebuild you heater panel, and refit it back to your dash.

16) refit your clock / did / computer

17) refit your instrument panel trims and refit your steering wheel cowling.