WET PASSENGER FOOTWELL

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
blackv6

Re: WET PASSENGER FOOTWELL

Post by blackv6 »

defo take the plastic trim off around the blower under the scuttle panel its around where the heater sits mine was leeking in the same place..............took off plasic trim and the foam seal was fcuked bought a good quality silicone (1 which could be applyed to wet surfaces) it smelled for a week or 2 but this done the job fella

scott
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

blackv6 wrote:defo take the plastic trim off around the blower under the scuttle panel its around where the heater sits mine was leeking in the same place..............took off plasic trim and the foam seal was fcuked bought a good quality silicone (1 which could be applyed to wet surfaces) it smelled for a week or 2 but this done the job fella

scott
My old green TD suffered from this and a little bit of sealant cured the problem but that was wetting both footwells where as mine and Chris's was only the passnger side. Fingers crossed I think I found the cause of mine and fixed it but as for yours Chris, I would suggest that if yours isnt the same then to either seal up the blower motor appeture like Scott suggested above or look for rusty holes in the bulk head, floor and also check the door seals are doing their job.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

vauxhallnutter wrote:
blackv6 wrote:defo take the plastic trim off around the blower under the scuttle panel its around where the heater sits mine was leeking in the same place..............took off plasic trim and the foam seal was fcuked bought a good quality silicone (1 which could be applyed to wet surfaces) it smelled for a week or 2 but this done the job fella

scott
My old green TD suffered from this and a little bit of sealant cured the problem but that was wetting both footwells where as mine and Chris's was only the passnger side. Fingers crossed I think I found the cause of mine and fixed it but as for yours Chris, I would suggest that if yours isnt the same then to either seal up the blower motor appeture like Scott suggested above or look for rusty holes in the bulk head, floor and also check the door seals are doing their job.
thanks for the pics bud although the 2nd one im not sure what im looking at..
on my passenger front inner wing there seems to be 2 square holes although yours has one.. is that normal?
and the sunroof drain pipe does that run down past behind the glove box etc?
vauxhallnutter

Re: RE: WET PASSENGER FOOTWELL

Post by vauxhallnutter »

It runs down the windscreen pillar and then down into the inner wing. Not sure why yours has 2 square holes tbh.. I think there should only be one though. Have U got a picture?
Sent from my Lumia 610 using Board Express
Mark
VBOA Members
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

vauxhallnutter wrote:It runs down the windscreen pillar and then down into the inner wing. Not sure why yours has 2 square holes tbh.. I think there should only be one though. Have U got a picture?
if you remove the glovebox and the kick panel trim, carpet etc can you see this drain tube?
i will have to get a pic of the inner wing but i have a feeling that your onto something with this sunroof drain
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

You can see it if you remove the kick panel and then the relays. It just sits loose in the inner wing. As I say my soundproofing was the issue on mine, check it isn't soaking
Mark
VBOA Members
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

ok bud thanks for that i will have to have a look
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

chrisvectra wrote:ok bud thanks for that i will have to have a look

Let us know how you get on.
Mark
VBOA Members
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

ive had the car covered up for the winter but this is the 1st thing im gonna check when the weather starts to warm up bud
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

cavalier1990 wrote:
chrisvectra wrote:
btcctroy wrote:Do not use silicon sealer anywhere on a car. It's dreadful stuff reacts with paint, Use pu sealer nothing else
thanks for the advice fella, what is pu sealer and where would i get it ?
Not sure if he means panel sealant, I use this and it's much better than silicone, usually get it from a bodyshop supplier. Only thing is though, as with any sealant, make sure the area is free of loose flakes and dirt, then wipe area of application with thinners, wait ten for thinners to dry off then apply it.

Just as a note places i've had, and currently have leak(s) from cavy are:

Plastic Vent thing in boot
Back quarters
back light (You can't buy seals only whole lights from dealers)
Windscreen(as it was fitted by a dodgy bloke using margarine as a sealer I think!)
Rust in drain cavities just forward of the seat - not the big bung holes it's got a little rubber bullet in it - just weld new metal over it
Some leak/seal in bulkhead is filling my airbox up with water and pouring into drivers footwell - currently have this problem.

And.....drying out the floor sound deadening - you need to lift the carpet and shove copious amounts of papers in there and leave it + take out bung and stamp on the carpet to squeeze out the water, change paper maybe 3 or 4 times then hairdryer it or dehum as a final step. I currently have water pissin out the bung holes so I will need to reseal these as well once I sort the leak.

A
Just as a little addition to this I have sourced another leak that you may want to check for on your own cavy. I was getting water dripping out the bottom of the heater box. If you look at the bottom of the box on drivers side just where the centre console meets the air box you'll see a little hole, that is an overflow for water escaping from the air box, or from a matrix leak.

I had water dripping out of here and what with the relentless rain we have been having my carpet is like a swimming pool. I have had to put lots of newspaper in there every couple of weeks, remove drain holes and squeeze out the water. So it turns out we had a dry day yesterday (what's dry :) ) and I had a good look in the windscreen wiper aperture area thinking the water must be leaking in there somewhere, and there was a puddle right next to the blower.

So poured water down the screen - note that I only had the big plastic air intake cover rubber strip lifted up so it was still essentially intact under the screen - and there it was, water dripping down the wiper linkage spindle for the passenger wiper as this hangs right over the blower area.

On stripping the nut off the wiper I noticed the wiper spindle was quite worn in it's holder about 2 mm play either way, so I poured some oil down it to help keep it lubed just for now. It looks like with this wear in the wiper spindle is allowing water to run through the spindle and into the blower motor area, then into the air box.

I done a temp fix by taking a 1" square piece of duct tape, poking a hole in the middle about same size as wiper spindle, then sealing it over the spindle. Do this so the spindle can still rotate but the bit around the bottom of it is essentially sealed, the tape will move a bit but should keep it sealed from worst of water ingress.

Long term fix is a new wiper mechanism as the old one seem pretty worn on both spindles.

Quick check is to grab the bottom of the wiper arm near the top of the bonnet, not the wiper blade itself, and pull it back and forward in the direction that the wiper arm is pointing, with slight force, and see if you have any play or not. Other one is to check for a puddle next to blower motor after rain. You may have water leaking in here and not really be aware of it as the carpet foam is so thick and absorbs tons of water.