Rust proofing

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
3cav3

Rust proofing

Post by 3cav3 »

Hi, I want to pump my cavalier full of wax, I was wondering if anybody has any tips where I should inject it, what brand is the best etc. is there any easy way into the sills and other box sections without drilling? Many thanks for any advice given.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: Rust proofing

Post by James McGrath »

There are very mixed views on this topic. Some say it's great others say it traps moisture in and makes things worse.

Others may disagree but I sware by Bilt-hamber products. Dynax S50 is an excellent wax and other products like electrox and hydrate 80 I find extremely useful.

In the end the best way to prevent rust is to keep it dry in a garage and avoid taking it out in the wet. Later Cavaliers are quite well protected against rust from the factory and if it's still in good condition it shouldn't require any attention.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

James McGrath wrote:There are very mixed views on this topic. Some say it's great others say it traps moisture in and makes things worse.

Others may disagree but I sware by Bilt-hamber products. Dynax S50 is an excellent wax and other products like electrox and hydrate 80 I find extremely useful.

In the end the best way to prevent rust is to keep it dry in a garage and avoid taking it out in the wet. Later Cavaliers are quite well protected against rust from the factory and if it's still in good condition it shouldn't require any attention.
Unfortunately I don't have a garage and if I only took it out in dry weather I'd only be able to drive it about 3 days a year in britain :)

I've heard good things about hydrate 80 so may well give it a go.
5853moore

Post by 5853moore »

Both of mine are covered in waxoyl/underseal.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Digging through the work shop I've just discovered an un used tin of waxoyl and a sprayer so in the short term will be using it.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Personally I don't think it's a good idea. Waxoil is nasty stuff and is difficult to take off once it has been applied. Waxoil is a very old product designed to protect much older cars which came with very little or even no protection at all from the factory. It's OK if you are putting in on fresh clean steel and then keep it topped up every few years. however is you put it on an old surface that has been exposed to the elements you can trap moisture in which can cause corrosion or cover up rust which won't then be seen until it gets far worse.