Doors Sill rubbers? Should they stay or should they go?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
GLC

Doors Sill rubbers? Should they stay or should they go?

Post by GLC »

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding the rubber seals that are fitted along the sills inside the door shuts.

My Cavalier had it passenger sill replaced years ago but the little pegs that they clip onto were slightly ground down as the sill was joined just below them.

The trim fits but not well an has rubbed on the paintwork slightly and now the drivers sill been repaired there is a peg missing halfway along the drivers door too.

I have been using the car with them missing and haven't noticed any issues from these not being fitted.
So was thinking too by these staying off could it help avoid a rust trap?

So,

Am I'm better off having these pegs ground off flush and deleting them altogther or should I keep these in place and reinstate the Sill rubbers once I get the sill[s] painted? I.e keep it original etc.

Cheers.
Tobias_CDX

Re: Doors Sill rubbers? Should they stay or should they go?

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Without the sill rubbers there is some more noise inside.
Two things cause corrosion in this area:
1st scratched paint under rubber (escpecially the rear ends!)
2nd contact corrosion between the zinced pegs and stainless steel inner parts of the rubber.

Protection against corrosion is scratch protection film (i.e. 3M) under the whole length of the rubber (escpecially the rear ends!) and corrosion protection grease at the pegs. Check the pegs regularly and regrease pegs.
It helps, if the pegs are totally covered in laquer so no direct connection to the stainless parts is possible.
GLC

Post by GLC »

Thank's for the advice much appreciated.

As you say these rubbers can be a rust trap. Have refitted the rubbers but they don't seam to be clipping back on well to the pegs.

Tried pinching the metal channel to get a better fit, but noticed today they were coming loose again. Think the pegs being ground down slightly during the fitting of the new sill's [ not by me ] is the real issue as mentioned before.

So not sure if I better off long term saving up for a bodyshop to removing them altogther ?
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

To keep originality, sound damping and protection I would use tiger seal (popular with black cabs) to fit them.
I've used it in my scuttle panel corners with good results. No more wet passenger foot well.
It's good stuff but you've got to be prepared first, It sets fast
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

The driver's side one on mine has come away at the front but there is no hint of rust. It's just that the channel has popped off over the mounting pins. How are you supposed to remove and fit them? Do they slide off or snap over the pins?
Thanks for looking.
1993 LS 2.0 8V auto Saloon. Satin Red
1994 CD 2.0 8V auto Hatch. Nautilus
1986 1.8i auto cabrio only 8000 miles. Polar white
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

dorsetdave wrote:The driver's side one on mine has come away at the front but there is no hint of rust. It's just that the channel has popped off over the mounting pins. How are you supposed to remove and fit them? Do they slide off or snap over the pins?
Thanks for looking.

I think they just pop onto the pins. No need to slide them on.
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Thanks for your help. It's now snapped back on.
1993 LS 2.0 8V auto Saloon. Satin Red
1994 CD 2.0 8V auto Hatch. Nautilus
1986 1.8i auto cabrio only 8000 miles. Polar white