Cracked rear lights (boot) + Pic requests

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Martay

Cracked rear lights (boot) + Pic requests

Post by Martay »

Hi,
Only just bought myself a 2L GLS, and the rear lights in the boot have spider-web-like cracks across them, looks age or sun related? Any info on this, is it common or easy to replace?

Also, i was wondering if someone would be so kind to post a pic of under bonnet and dasboard/console controls, as they looked really confusing!!
Ta
1995 CDX 16v
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Cracked rear lights (boot) + Pic requests

Post by humbucker »

Hi Martay. The 'frosting' you mention is common on older panels, no way of repairing them other than replacing the whole boot panel. It's a simple job of just unbolting the old and replacing with the new. mine was the same when i first got it, you can see the cracks quite clearly here and the discolouring of the red reflector. its a lot darker than the accompanying light cluster:

so i bought some brand new turbo rear lights and a second hand turbo boot panel. but guess what...:

so i bought ANOTHER turbo boot panel. this one was mint, and came with the bootlid too. sadly the sender put a thin layer of bubble wrap around it and chucked it in the back of a van. so this is what arrived:

bah! by this point i was fed up so went and bought a brand new one! notice how 'refreshed' the red in the reflectors is:

if you're not bothered about a turbo unit and just want to replace like for like then keep your eyes peeled on the 'bay or check your scrapper. i've seen a couple of brand new non turbo boot panels go for peanuts on the bay recently.
specks

Post by specks »

very common this,may be from years of boot being slammed closed and sun damage (when we actually get some)
V6power

Post by V6power »

ooooo where did you get that new turbo panel from?
If in Doubt.......Flat out!
Martay

Post by Martay »

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. Sorry i posted in the wrong bit :cry

Are they just reflectors or lights? I was worried about water getting in, but if they're reflectors it wont be such a problem! :)

Thanks again
1995 CDX 16v
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

they're just reflectors. they're stuck on with adhesive, you won't get them off without cracking them so you'll have to either make do or buy a replacement item :)
Desy221

Post by Desy221 »

Sorry that I write in the old topic. Thank you for your good answers, useful.
call Netspend