heater matrix

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
andysri

heater matrix

Post by andysri »

just been reading up on this in the how 2 guide. does the same apply for the turbo diesel cavs as i have a friend with a suspect matrix leak?

also if the matrix isnt leaking and the sunroof pipes arent blocked, has anyone got any ideas where else water could be getting in. it is so damp in this car its unreal even on a dry day the windows look like they have been rained on, on the inside.

cheers, andy.
cars to date
Nova 1.0, omega 2.0 16v manual, carlton diplomat, cavailer GL 2.0i, omega 2.0 16v auto, nova 1.2.
Current car, blue cavalier 2.0 sri 8v, Red cav sri 8v now stripped+gone vx4/90 arrived!

complete cav sri interior up for grabs
oojimmyflip

Re: heater matrix

Post by oojimmyflip »

if the windows and I mean all of them are steamming up completely its the matrix, Ive just got my sons repaired it cost £78 from an auto factors (auto express) and it cost £80 to have it fitted theres no need to remove the dash to do the job there is some info on the website how to do the job but not knowing how to pass on the link I can't point you to it im afraid.
apparently antifreeze in a fine mist is carsonagenic and can trigger throat cancer so be careful driving with heater on for to long, open the front windows slightly about an inch and dont use the heater until you get the matrix fixed properly.

putting in a new matrix has stopped the mobile sauna effect completely.

if you want to check it is the matrix turn off the heater blower and run the car for about five miles then turn the blower on full pelt with the vents all closed except for the windscreen vents, now a blast of mist spray should eject from the screen vents in a cloud of spray. if this happens it is probably your matrix, which incidentally will get much worse when it goes dramatically it can pour piping hot water all over your feet which will burn the driver badly, better to get it fixed rather than hurt yourself the feet can be a very sensative part of your body esspecially if you burn them badly.I know I got a little stoned as a teenager and tried walking on hot ashes- never again. :no

Don't be tempted to use a radiator leak fix compound or solution this will only clogg up the matrix and make the hole even worse, the cavalier heater matrix is made of very narrow tubing and this can clogg with radiator quick fixes.
unlike other cars which have larger tubing in the matrix.
all this from the mechanic who fitted it for us, all in all pretty good service for £80.
if your near Northampton and need to know where let me know.
I wish you could buy a small portable humidifier it would help to knock down the price on a second hand motor when i tell the dealer that the matrix has gone. (maybe i'll use a 12 volt camping steam iron and mess up the windows a bit) lol.

regards oojimmyflip. :wave :wave :wave
andysri

Post by andysri »

thanks very much for the info, ALL the windows look like the car has been rained on from the inside quite literaly. they are covered in a mist and in some parts there are droplets of water on the glass. i looked at the car last night and carpets are totaly water logged front and rear. the water system doesnt seem to have lost much water but after the car was run the matrix did appear to get very slightly wet along the join in the centre. i have said to the owner i dont want to change the matrix untill im 100% sure it is that causing the problem but it now seems more and more like it is the matrix.

thanks again for your information, it was most helpful.
cars to date
Nova 1.0, omega 2.0 16v manual, carlton diplomat, cavailer GL 2.0i, omega 2.0 16v auto, nova 1.2.
Current car, blue cavalier 2.0 sri 8v, Red cav sri 8v now stripped+gone vx4/90 arrived!

DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

are you totally sure the rubber sock drain from the scuttle box is clear of smeg and leaves?
if you cant find it, or have never heard of it, it should be dripping across the centre of the steering rack under the bonnet. rip it out and wash all the smeg out if you havent already.
this clogs real quickly, then the rain water fills the heater inlet and pours in to the front floors, then it makes its way to the rear floors.
andysri

Post by andysri »

cheers for that as well, when i went to look at the car last night i did see that and noticed it had dripped on to the rack but i will have it out and make sure its all clear before i go for the matrix. its all the little things like that i want to eliminate first before i do anything drastic ive found most of the drainage points but there is probably some more i havnent found yet.

cheers
cars to date

oojimmyflip

Post by oojimmyflip »

Diploma se, I agree it sounds a little more like it, the matrix usually goes very slowly with a small hole creating little moisture if any under the carpets, in retrospect it may not be the matrix that is the problem.

regards oojimmyflip. ps it sure solved our mobile sauna effect though and our carpets were bone dry. :wave :wave :wave
andysri

Post by andysri »

im wondering if its a combination of several water problems what with water logged carpets (including areas in the boot)permantly steamed windows, the matrix slightly damp and the engine not using much water. oh what fun!
cars to date