Adjustable steering column

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
steve greening

Adjustable steering column

Post by steve greening »

Hi does any one know if you can fit an adjustable steering column to a fixed column car with an airbag and still retain a working airbag? Is this possible or safe!!! Anybody with any experience?
Cheers Steve. :scratch
planetc

Re: Adjustable steering column

Post by planetc »

No, the adjustable column is not designed with the strength for the airbag in the event of it triggering. That is why the later cars with airbag had fixed columns with additional bracing. It would physically fit, but isn't up to the job design wise.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
steve greening

Post by steve greening »

Thanks for that, I thought that might be the case and I guess that's why the went backwards with a fixed column. I wonder if a vectra column might be up to the job? Or do you think the sheer bolts and fixings on the cav just would not be suitable?
planetc

Post by planetc »

Vectra has an adjustable column designed to cope with an airbag, but I think the mounting design is different.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

planetc wrote:Vectra has an adjustable column designed to cope with an airbag, but I think the mounting design is different.
Yup, the bottom bracket needs to be shifted up by 3-4 mm (from basic measurements and offering up) Similar design, just a beefier version, for the benefit it will provide, I am still not convinced its worth the hassle (yet).
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
steve greening

Post by steve greening »

Thanks for the info, I agree it's probably not worth it for all the work but I do find it hard to get a good driving position with my v6 but also I don't want to do without such an important safety device of an airbag!! Maybe give it go and see?
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

I fitted an adjustable column to my old cavy pre airbag and it's not too hard a job, except getting them damm shear bolts off. What I found was a 13 mm snap on socket on a big extension and some gentle hammering upwards will create a small hex imprint on the shear nut enough for you to move it.

Wanted to fit adjustable column to my new cavy with the air bag but not sure it is MOT-able like that, they might not know it has to be fixed but i Imagine the wiring would be a nightmare and the safety will probably be compromised.
northern lad

Post by northern lad »

is the calibra one not compatible?
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

From what I've read here... It's the mounts in the car itself that has the issue...
My understanding is... You would need to beef up the car mounts to make it safe... Or... Loose the air bag and remove the warning light.. it would pass an mot that way as long as they didn't know it was factory fitted with one...