Need to repair my rear spoiler

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
cavaliersri130

Need to repair my rear spoiler

Post by cavaliersri130 »

I need to know if anyone's got any ideas on how to remove the cracked paint on my irmscher spoiler I brought.

Here's a pic.
uploadfromtaptalk1373479273075.jpg

I really want to remove it but I don't want to damage the rubber, would paint stripper ruin the rubber itself,
?

Cheers guys and girls.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
Gaz

Re: Advice needed please :)

Post by Gaz »

Sander
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

Gaz wrote:Sander
Tried sanders in the past on an old kit I had made of rubber and they ruin the rubber as they burn lumps into it.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

then your not doing it right, sounds like your holding it in one spot generating heat
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

Gaz wrote:then your not doing it right, sounds like your holding it in one spot generating heat
Will this rub it all off though or just smooth it enough to repaint it.

TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Id be more worried about the big dip in the middle of it, probably the reason the paints all cracked too.

Try fitting it first before wasting your time as it might look a mess when fitted.

But as gaz said you need to sand it all off right back to the bare rubber/plastic. It will take a LONG time but its the only way really. For a quick job you could just smooth the paint around the cracks and then put thick primer on it but it wont look great at all.
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

TurboDan wrote:Id be more worried about the big dip in the middle of it, probably the reason the paints all cracked too.

Try fitting it first before wasting your time as it might look a mess when fitted.

But as gaz said you need to sand it all off right back to the bare rubber/plastic. It will take a LONG time but its the only way really. For a quick job you could just smooth the paint around the cracks and then put thick primer on it but it wont look great at all.
I know its abit wobbly I bent it into shape and it sits nicely on the boot, just needs bolting/glueing onto the Sri spoiler.

I was going to try filler primer several coats whilst smoothing with wet and dry but it might take ages and the loose paint will just crack up again, want to strip and put flexible primer on.

northern lad

Post by northern lad »

as said you just need to sand it all down - try using something like 320 grit so as not to damage the rubber so much