Windscreen Scratch Repair

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Telegram Sam

Windscreen Scratch Repair

Post by Telegram Sam »

My windscreen has signs of being exposed to wear and tear over the past 213 K miles - just many minute scratches not chips or breakages. I believe that if these are not too deep it is possible to "polish" them out. Has anyone ever used any of the scratch remover kits, and can report on any that do what they say on the tin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... h&_sacat=0

Tks
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
planetc

Re: Windscreen Scratch Repair

Post by planetc »

Try jewellers rouge, otherwise forget it
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
nidge

Post by nidge »

i bought a new screen for mine as it had chips in it, and only cost £100. from an independent screen company fitted. that was 2011 thou. well worth the money than messing about with it.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

If all else fails go to Autoglass, preferably with a mortgage or excess free insurance policy to pay for it.
Rage

Post by Rage »

my first screen had thousands of little tiny chips so got it replaced by national windscreens for £80 i then had a crack in the new one a couple of years later so searched around again and found my old invoice from them they asked for the invoice number pulled it up and did it again for £80. i would definitely recommend them for a quick professional job they even put my xmas lights back in my headlining :thumb
heres their website with contact details http://www.nationalwindscreens.co.uk/index.php
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Thanks I've noted / bookmarked that and may well follow up. I'd thought of using the professionals only if it was an insurance job (= damage rather than wear and tear), may be there's a case for a re-think after 213 K miles. My only concern with any replacement is that if the guy doesn't provide a perfect seal when he's finished then there's a rotted frame at the end of the line. And that would probably be outwith the guarantee if included.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I had a misshap in oh, must have been 2008/2009 and used a company in Teeside called Carglass, they are based in Stockton, and they did an extremely good job.

http://www.carglassnortheast.co.uk/index.html
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Added to bookmarks!
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Envoy CDX wrote:I had a misshap in oh, must have been 2008/2009 and used a company in Teeside called Carglass, they are based in Stockton, and they did an extremely good job.

http://www.carglassnortheast.co.uk/index.html
What might swing it: Is there a probability that by now Cav Mk 3 windscreens are on the endangered species list? :( > Case of getting a replacement whether needed or not whilst supplies are still available (if they are)? You can't just "fabricate a screen" (unless you are Pilkington plc)
Rage

Post by Rage »

only took nationals a couple of days to come out to me both times and that was due to convenience and booking a time to suit where they had a slot and i would be somewhere for enough time for them to do the job.
this last time i did ask if the screen was going to be a tricky one to get hold of and they had one in stock
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

It seems that both people can get hold of Cav Mk 3 screens. £85 + VAT for Carglass to fit if not an insurance job.
Rage

Post by Rage »

not bad i've never bothered going through my insurance can't be bothered with the hassle and my excess is probably about £50 anyway. if my screen was a couple of hundred then it would be worth it but for an extra £30 i can't see the plus side of all the hassle
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

National Windscreens would charge £110 + VAT and can supply. I asked both co's what they'd do if once they got the screen out it exposed hidden rust. Can't say I was terribly impressed with the answers but in the circs, man waiting with his van outside, I suppose there's not a lot they can do (like ring up Troy and ask him to pop round for a cut and weld job)
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Your worried that it might not be sealed properly afterwards, Who says its sealed properly now? Just because you cant see a leak doesnt mean there isnt one.

On my old turbo i noticed that the screen wasnt sealed along the top, i could actually see daylight through it!
So i got a bloke out to take it out and reseal it. He came and took the screen out and we found a nice big rusty hole at the bottom of the screen frame. So he just said to me he would quite happily put it back in and make it seal for me but i didnt want that so i told him to leave it as it was and i would weld the hole up and get him back to fit it again. He was fine with it and he didnt charge me when he went away either, he just said pay me when i come back to fit it.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

"Your worried that it might not be sealed properly afterwards, Who says its sealed properly now? Just because you cant see a leak doesnt mean there isnt one."

That's just it. There might or might not be all manner of nasties hidden away underneath and I'm trying to plan what to do if the worst comes to the worst! Nowt is visible at present but then your bloke doesn't live next to me if my luck's out.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I see the point you're making, however it's a bridge you will envitably come across when the screen comes out at the end of the day. If its gone anywhere, it will lilkely be at the bottom of the screen or down one of the a pillars.

(Across the top of the windscreen is very common too, but you'd have evidence of that at the top of the screen).

You could wait till its being welded up to have a look at it, depends how bad you think the screen is currently.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

No sign of rust visible to the layman so far, just superficial scratches on the w/s surface. Case of being prepared for what you can't see ..
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:No sign of rust visible to the layman so far, just superficial scratches on the w/s surface. Case of being prepared for what you can't see ..
Get through the winter, replace it if need be in the new year.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index