Car Polish

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Telegram Sam

Car Polish

Post by Telegram Sam »

I was told that it was worth spending a bit extra on some quality car polish for long term protection, and found myself looking on the Meguira's (spelling?) website. For an ordinary bloke looking for just a polish (may be a shampoo also) the offer is baffling and I suspect the result of their marketing people going way OTT. Is it in the end just a pinch of salt and a toss of a coin (like choosing toothpaste)?
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Super89

Re: Car Polish

Post by Super89 »

Poorboys range are very good and so easy to use. Then theres autoglym which are very good, Plus British. Price wise both are reasonable.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I use TripleWax or TurtleWax. Similar stuff, cheap and a shiny smooth finish.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Based on an old, old Which? report I have been using Triple Wax over the years - their findings put this ahead of the "up-market" Autoglym stuff where a lot of what you pay for is just the name (apparently). My advice was to upgrade from Triple Wax for better protection - and to avoid anything containing silicone. I confess that I've never heard of or seen Poorboys, must investigate. That said, I wouldn't rule out something from the Meguiar's range - if they got rid of the toothpaste guys from their marketing department and gave us straight talk instead. Probably if you are in The Trade you can see through all the hype, but I'm not.
Rage

Post by Rage »

can't think who makes it but i use a nano wax that i got from halfrauds it might be from turtlewax it comes in a lime green plastic cylinder the top half of the case is a circular microfibre polishing pad and i got it for about £8 and i can't fault it the shine on my cavs 19 year old satin red paint is amazing it comes up like glass and lasts a good month and beads water really nice.

this was about a week after using the wax and was only from the morning dew
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Your description of the tub rings a bell - though not from my last visit to St Ives - and I'll try to track it down nearer home. I was told by Halfords that they have now given up their own up-market epoxy resin (?) polish in the face of competition from Meguiars & co. Pity.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

I use autoglym. Have for years. It's expensive. But just got a litre bottle for £7! Happy days. Always best to use a t cut if it hasn't been done. You can get special metallic one that brightens up dull clear top coat a treat.
C30XE
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I'll check you out next time I get lost in SLD (!). Mine is non-metallic and has just had an expensive re-spray (so T-Cut shouldn't be needed for some time I hope). You don't recognize the description of the nano wax stuff?
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

You shouldn't off polish either. You should need just a good wax to create a good protection. I've never used a plain wax before. Tho I'm tempted to try one.
C30XE
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I thought wax was wax was wax (except when nano)?? Once you get rid of the flashy packing.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

I personally use Meguiars wash & wax (the yellow one), smells fab and the results are amazing...Beads perfectly and lasts well but I also when doing a full show clean use extras from Meguairs and their show shine no water wash which gives a excellent high gloss appearance and lifts road grime etc off really well...

If you wanna go mad and get the best though there are 2 names out there one being DoDo wax and the other is Zymol but it is about £40+ where I have seen it for sale!
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I'd be very interested to "nail you down" over Meguila's products if I may. I'm not convinced that it's worth the average Mk3 bloke paying mega bucks for a shampoo-wash if you are not into showroom standards and the like. On the other hand I could accept paying a bit over the average for a proper "polish" if that really gives better protection as well as appearance. What I baulk at is splashing out for each and every one of the Meguilar polish variants (even the names are confusing) - as no doubt the marketing people would have me do - when all I want is one!! I think Autoglym use the same tricks. If you've managed to navigate around the Meguila's range and survived I'd be keen to know what you recommend.
Rage

Post by Rage »

just finished washing and waxing my cav and took a pic of the wax for you

this is the stuff I'm now getting quite low so will be getting another pot
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Great. Hope supplies don't run out before I get my pot. Halfords? [Huntingdon]
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Polish no other than Autoglym Super Resin Polish 1L bottle about £10. everybody uses this look on the detailing forums.
Wax: Collinite 476S - Super Doublecoat Auto Wax, Around £16 this is the one i would go for.. Can last upto 6 months.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Shampoo / Wash - Polish - Wax - Wax Polish ... where will it all end?!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Dodo juice PH neutral shampoo, Dodo juice clay lube and clay bar Dodo juice blue velvet wax.
Other detailing bits are Autoglym, Meguiars and tyre foam. Looking into getting snowfoam for my pre-wash stage.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I've calculated that it will be well worth it for me to ship my Cav down to S'hampton (AND back) to get it done at the same time. Dodo-ing etc makes doing a restoration look like a cheapo doddle!
Rage

Post by Rage »

Telegram Sam wrote:Great. Hope supplies don't run out before I get my pot. Halfords? [Huntingdon]
yep huntingdon was where i got it from
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Rage wrote:just finished washing and waxing my cav and took a pic of the wax for you

this is the stuff I'm now getting quite low so will be getting another pot
The big Halfords Mega-Store in Gateshead tells me that they stopped doing this a year ago :(. Hope it's available somewhere else. If anyone sees it pls shout.

On the other hand the Meguiar's people obviously monitor this forum constantly. A sample (free) of "UIltimate Wash & Wax" appeared out of the blue in today's mail together with a mass of product blurb. Grateful for small mercies but I'm still no clearer over the difference between a wax, a polish and a wax polish!
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Rage wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:Great. Hope supplies don't run out before I get my pot. Halfords? [Huntingdon]
yep huntingdon was where i got it from
Now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111324446525? ... EBIDX%3AIT

???
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Telegram Sam wrote:I'm still no clearer over the difference between a wax, a polish and a wax polish!

A polish is designed to rejuvenate paintwork, often working like Tcut and removing a very thin layer of paint. This helps to remove small scratches and swirls, bring back the shine and also restores colour if you have solid could paint.

A wax is designed to protect paintwork and keep it looking good for longer. It creates a barrier against dirt and UV light. It also improves the shine.

There is no such thing as a wax polish. If there is such product it is only a marketing gimmick or somehow an amalgamation of the two.

Think about clay baring the paintwork too, especially if it has never been done before and you live in a built up area with lots of pollution.

The difference it makes to the feel of the paintwork is astonishing.

Essentially what is does is remove all the tiny bits of dirt that gets stuck deep in the surface of the paint which is not removed by washing alone.
Once all these impurities are removed it makes the paintwork feel as smooth as glass again.

Get this if you can as it includes some polish too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoglym-Surf ... 20e3433a15
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

My detailing sessions go like this:

Wash -> clay bar -> polish -> wax -> plastic trim gel + tyre spray.

I normally only do that twice a year with frequent washes and bumper gel and tyre spray top ups.

I would recommend that you give it a dam good wash, clay bar and good polish. Then wax it once every 2 months or so.
That way the wax will protect the paint and you wont have to polish it so often.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Tks - the plot thickens!

How would you modify your recommendations if you had just had a respray done? I suppose that clay barring would be a bit redundant, a "polish" also, just wash + (nano) wax?? Any brand preferences? Trim gel is a new one on me.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Telegram Sam wrote:Tks - the plot thickens!

How would you modify your recommendations if you had just had a respray done? I suppose that clay barring would be a bit redundant, a "polish" also, just wash + (nano) wax?? Any brand preferences? Trim gel is a new one on me.

If you have just had a full respray done I would not clay bar or polish. Just wash and go straight to wax.

If it's a partial respray, clay and polish the areas which have not been sprayed then wax the whole car.

I tend to be brand loyal for Auto Glym. However, I do not use their wax as it is way overpriced. I would recommend collinite 915 wax as it lasts so long, normally around 4 months or more.

Bumper trim gel is very simple. you just wipe it on all the plastic areas, such as bumpers, and it makes them look nice and black.