rear wheel arches

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
stevemc1

rear wheel arches

Post by stevemc1 »

my 89 cdi has very rotten rear arches ,what sort of money is it going to cost me to get new arches welded on ,I am in Essex
dazzlersri

Re: rear wheel arches

Post by dazzlersri »

How long is a piece of string ? Lots of dependant factors - how bad is the rust, is it limited to arches or will it need inners aswell ? (More than likely) and who you get to do it more importantly, if I remember correctly replacement arch repair panels were around 30-40 quid per side last time I bought them. Its atleast a days work to cut out, fit and smooth them into the bodywork. Then lastly paintwork, price vairies wildly again, id have thought average is around 100-150 per panel ?
Very rewarding to do yourself if your able, and well worth saving another cavalier !

Any pictures of it ?
K343 RRL 1992 SRi 8v SEH - RIP
L750 BUY 1994 4x4 turbo
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Just noticed this post from back in March. I suspect it's a problem which most of us myself included have or had. The point to note is that having spent £££'s getting the arches replaced properly it's a case of preventing the problem from coming back to hit you. Rustbuster in Spalding have a special rear arch treatment service with this in mind which I opted for. So far no regrets. www.rust.co.uk
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

If you're lucky enough to still have relatively good arches, or even if not, make sure you clean the muck out from under the arch lip and also at the bottom of the sill where it has that little platform/lip. Also while you're there tons of gunk collects up behind the fuel filler pipe and rots that whole area so worthwhile cleaning out there too.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

What I was told (and what I experienced) was that because of the silly design fault you can do all that but without additional sealing the problem will just re-emerge cos the moisture gets between the sheet layers.
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods