Handbrake Grip Removal

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Rupsey

Handbrake Grip Removal

Post by Rupsey »

Hello All,
After a member kindly supplied handbrake and gear lever gaiters as mine were shot, I have successfully managed to fit the gear lever one. Looks great. Now to the handbrake gaiter. This requires removal of the handbrake grip which Haynes says will just pull from the handbrake. Well I have pulled and used protected grips, even used a piece of wood and the back and smacked it including my finger and it will not budge. Tried heating it with a hot water bottle but to no joy. Before I blacken any more finger nails, anyone got any good suggestions?
ilovedmymantas

Re: Handbrake Grip Removal

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Rupsey wrote:Hello All,
After a member kindly supplied handbrake and gear lever gaiters as mine were shot, I have successfully managed to fit the gear lever one. Looks great. Now to the handbrake gaiter. This requires removal of the handbrake grip which Haynes says will just pull from the handbrake. Well I have pulled and used protected grips, even used a piece of wood and the back and smacked it including my finger and it will not budge. Tried heating it with a hot water bottle but to no joy. Before I blacken any more finger nails, anyone got any good suggestions?
I tried all of the above, struggled for ages then remembered my old favourite. Squirt WD40 from both ends, wait 5 mins then just grab the handle , pushing forward & twisting side to side at the same time
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

When I removed the ones from my Cavaliers, I never needed to remove the handbrake grip, I just snipped the cable tie off the inside of the gaiter and just pulled it over the grip and off the handbrake. Fitting is reverse of that. Why should one have to remove the grip?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

to fix a randomly sticking button in my case
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

To remove the GAITER you remove the 'cupped' section that allows you not to smash your knuckles when releasing the hand break...
Undo and remove the crosshead screw, then carefully unclip the plastic securing bit...
Pull over the handbreak handle, thus turning inside out, locate the cable tie (one of mine had string tied around :S)
Cut and remove it...

I always stitched my new gaiter to the plastic bit... You could drill small holes to put the thread through...
I just used a good old needle and thread with the aid of a thimble :)

BUT... since you aim to replace it anyways... Just cut the thing off...
Never known any to need removing the hole handle :S
Rupsey

Post by Rupsey »

Hi All,
Sorry for the time taken to reply but suggestions gratefully received and now the gaiter is sorted.

I have some other questions on illumination lights so will start a new post.

My cavalier is doing well. May see it around the Fareham area. Only a 2.0LS but quite tidy.

Cheers,
Rupsey
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Rupsey, start a work in progress thread in 'Projects, Restorations and Runabouts' then add photos and chart the progress the ownership, repair and work to your Cav!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Wow - Holy thread revival Batman.!!

This may get ignored as Rupsey hasn't visited since mid December 2015 - but.

As an admin,

I have to advise that posting up pictures is the law!!
No pictures means it never happened. :P
(So my colleagues keep telling me).

Work In Progress threads are great, because you get a diary of your time with your car.
It is good to look back and see how much eventually gets done, and how things change.

Then there are the trials and tribulations of owning a 20-something year old car.