my rear doors

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
cavyboi

my rear doors

Post by cavyboi »

i know there a kits out ther for sucide rear doors but is it possable to make my own hinge up????

can i use the orignal hinge or not???

some one came up with the idae of making the doors open up like the dorloran (spelling) but just the door????

and moving the b piller back and making it into a 3 door coupe by extending the door and making the rear quater bigeer so it looks original?????

copy and paste the hole list so i can keep track on how people can think please :) and if you want to add any thing on the bottom then please doo

sucide doors

gullwing doors

3door coupe style
Squig

Re: my rear doors

Post by Squig »

sucide doors

gullwing doors

3door coupe style
1. Squig - have seen an end to end pic process on a vaux forum no idea where
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
cavyboi

Post by cavyboi »

hi bud is it one wher it shows you how to do it (that sort of thing????)

if so could you try and find it so i can have a look bud

cheers nick
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Suicide doors sound the best idea. I would imagine that moving the B pillar could be a very involved and difficult job. Gull wing doors- Better on a 2 door..
Squig

Post by Squig »

and the translation (badly from finnish) of the 3 door project...
here

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Squig

Post by Squig »

It's not a step by step and not only is the cav b pillar moved the rear door pillar is removed and the rear of the roof lowered and the rear window angle is increased to perfect the flow of the lines. Don't forget about the custom interior and the custom glass and all the other custom stuff you will need.
A 3-door is not a project to be undertaken lightly but as you can see from the final pic if you do it right, by the mighty boosh, it's pretty

the shape of the cav will cause problems with suicide doors on the rear, unless you use one massive hinge, even then the door may sag.
Gullwing it and I may kill you! :D

cavyboi

Post by cavyboi »

thank you very much for doing that bud

i do like that idea now loads!!!!!

i will have to look into that a bit more now lol

nick
Squig

Post by Squig »

will be very intrested to see how you do... but remember this will be a massively time consuming job not to mention potentially hugely expensive, nevertheless, I wish you luck, and if you do I can't wait to see it!

cavyboi

Post by cavyboi »

cheers bud

if i defo do it i will keep evry one up dated with how it going

BUT i have one question will it pass an mot as the b piller has moved????
Squig

Post by Squig »

if it's structurally sound, I don't see why not... just make sure it looks like it should and if your in doubt ask your local mechanic/MOT station...

Method of inspection
"1. With the vehicle over a pit or on a raised hoist, check the vehicle structure for any fracture, damage or corrosion, not within the prescribed areas, which is likely to affect prejudicially the correct functioning of the braking system or the steering gear, or the seat belts."
Reason for rejection
"1. Any deliberate modification, excessive corrosion, damage, fracture or inadequate repair not within a prescribed area which adversely affects braking or steering by severely reducing the strength or continuity of a main load bearing structural member."
Body Security
Method of inspection
"2. Examine the following items for presence, security, fracture, distortion,
excessive wear or damage;
a. all fixings (eg brackets) securing the body and its supporting members to the chassis
b. all fixings (eg brackets) securing the body to a sub-frame or supporting members, and all securing bolts, rivets or welds for all the above
fixings.
3. Check the condition of the body and chassis in the vicinity of the mounting points-Body condition"
Reason for rejection
"2.
a. Excessive displacement of the body relative to the chassis which might lead to loss of control of the vehicle when driven
b. insecurity of the body or its supporting members to the chassis so that it is clear that there would be a danger to other road users.
3. Any deliberate modification, excessive corrosion, damage, cracks or inadequate repair of a load bearing body or chassis member which seriously affects its strength within 30 cm of the body mountings.
Body Condition"
Source MOT Tester Manual

cavyboi

Post by cavyboi »

cheers for that bud

i apreate it

nick
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

I was right it is time consuming but i have to say wow that does look good
cavyboi

Post by cavyboi »

i have been loking into it today (3 door) and i would prob not have the outside sort of ready for pv09 so i will have to wait and see with this one

still dont know what to do lol
Squig

Post by Squig »

3-door it, who gives a damn if it's not ready for 09, just do it for 10 and your laughing ... plus I'll bet you'll be the only 3 door cav there... and you'll confuse several hundred people! :lol:

cavyboi

Post by cavyboi »

i would bud but if i have a garage to but it in at night i defo would bud but i cant find one

but i think i will be going for sucide or gulwing doors :(
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

tbh its suicide, its gonna be a chore getting the hinges right, but its simple compared to the other two
cavyboi

Post by cavyboi »

ok cheers bud