door card vinyl lifting on armrest

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
graham8v

door card vinyl lifting on armrest

Post by graham8v »

Hi, i've had this problem ever since i got the cav years ago. the vinyle on the drivers armrest at the b pillar end looks to have shrunk and lifted from the armrest. it is so taught that it pulls the top door card fixing out of the door. I spoke to a car trimmer and he said it couldn't be refixed, but i know you lot are quite ingenius so hoping you might have suggestions? I need to get the vinyl to stretch and though maybe a hairdryer or heat gun would do it, but the trimmer reckons it's already been heated and stretched when first manufactured, so won't work or will split
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: door card vinyl lifting on armrest

Post by humbucker »

It would probably be easier - and cheaper - to get hold of a replacement door card. That said, posting pics of the offending item would help us to determine what's what.
mariansmg

Post by mariansmg »

That's a pretty common problem with Cavs nowadays, most of them I've seen have it. The vinyl on the driver's side door has actually shattered. As above, I think the easiest way would be to find a scrapper and get a replacement door panel.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

If you're getting it re-trimmed I'd suggest doing all 4 and do something a bit customised to you. Make it worth while if you know what I mean. Ofcourse, if you're not adverse to paying up if it goes wrong. see if you can heat it up and sort it out first?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
graham8v

Post by graham8v »

Thanks guys, i'll try to get a picture posted up in the next day or two. Gary no way i can afford to get it retrimmed, and a replacement is going to be hard to find, as my cav is a 93 facelift cd, and the particular trim was only available on cd's for the one year. I have some turbo cards, but they're not as good as a set as the originals, as it's only the drivers door that's got issues.

Do i need photobucket or similar to put oice on here?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

graham8v wrote:Thanks guys, i'll try to get a picture posted up in the next day or two. Gary no way i can afford to get it retrimmed, and a replacement is going to be hard to find, as my cav is a 93 facelift cd, and the particular trim was only available on cd's for the one year. I have some turbo cards, but they're not as good as a set as the originals, as it's only the drivers door that's got issues.

Yeah, you'll need to upload your pics to Photobucket. Instructions here:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14778

I'm sure there's a way to remove the CD's upholstery panels and put them on donor door cards, particularly if you're not bothered about sacrificing already buggered parts. As mariansmg says, many Mk3 Cavaliers suffer from bubbling or split vinyl on the 'cards, although they tend to be a lot better than those found in Sapphire RS Cosworths (the Ford's lower door card pockets shrink and split for fun!).
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

graham8v wrote:Thanks guys, i'll try to get a picture posted up in the next day or two. Gary no way i can afford to get it retrimmed, and a replacement is going to be hard to find, as my cav is a 93 facelift cd, and the particular trim was only available on cd's for the one year. I have some turbo cards, but they're not as good as a set as the originals, as it's only the drivers door that's got issues.

Get some pictures up, someone may have one. Failing that. Self upholstering maybe the way forward :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index