The Cav Coupe Query

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Squig

The Cav Coupe Query

Post by Squig »

Discussing the 3-door cav as seen here with Emma, and she's queried, if this where to be done would it be safe...

Original post in this thread...
Squig wrote:Image

and the translation (badly from finnish) of the 3 door project...
here
And MOT details under relevant section, as per post in thread...
Squig wrote:if it's structurally sound, I don't see why not... just make sure it looks like it should and if your in doubt ask your local mechanic/MOT station...

Method of inspection
"1. With the vehicle over a pit or on a raised hoist, check the vehicle structure for any fracture, damage or corrosion, not within the prescribed areas, which is likely to affect prejudicially the correct functioning of the braking system or the steering gear, or the seat belts."
Reason for rejection
"1. Any deliberate modification, excessive corrosion, damage, fracture or inadequate repair not within a prescribed area which adversely affects braking or steering by severely reducing the strength or continuity of a main load bearing structural member."
Body Security
Method of inspection
"2. Examine the following items for presence, security, fracture, distortion,
excessive wear or damage;
a. all fixings (eg brackets) securing the body and its supporting members to the chassis
b. all fixings (eg brackets) securing the body to a sub-frame or supporting members, and all securing bolts, rivets or welds for all the above
fixings.
3. Check the condition of the body and chassis in the vicinity of the mounting points-Body condition"
Reason for rejection
"2.
a. Excessive displacement of the body relative to the chassis which might lead to loss of control of the vehicle when driven
b. insecurity of the body or its supporting members to the chassis so that it is clear that there would be a danger to other road users.
3. Any deliberate modification, excessive corrosion, damage, cracks or inadequate repair of a load bearing body or chassis member which seriously affects its strength within 30 cm of the body mountings.
Body Condition"
Source MOT Tester Manual
personally I think moving the b-pillar by 12" wouldn't affect structural strength but Emma thinks an SVA would be required...
anyone help resolve this... cavyboi; might be worth keeping an eye on this
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: The Cav Coupe Query

Post by Envoy CDX »

It would in my opinion have to be retested to ensure the work had been carried out correctly, and that it was indeed fit for the road.

You will be messing with the SRS systems in place such as side impact bars, crumple zones and the like to "redesign" the shell to be a coupe.

Not sure how well it would stand up should the worst happen and a truck / car smashed into the vehicle....
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Squig

Post by Squig »

so SVA would be recommended but would it be a q plate?

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

You'd think it would need an sva but it doesn't, my mates pickup didn't need one, he spent many an hour researching and on the phone with the vosa (i think).

It all boils down to the workmanship, when you cut a car up you will be really surprised how badly put together they are, its mostly spot welds, if done right its perfectly safe, to a given value of safe- cavs don't rate well on a ncap rating to start with.
dave's.veccy

Post by dave's.veccy »

Like when cutting a car up to convert to a pick-up, it looses some of it structral strength where as if you are just moving the B post back, other than moving the stress point back slightly it will still have its structral strength.

cars that have the roof lowered dont need an sva either iirc.

it would have to be either spot welded or done with a mig welder to be safe. I wouldnt trust an arc welder on something like this :lol:
Squig

Post by Squig »

Cool, now I've just got to convince Em that we REALLY a cav saloon that would be off the road for 6-12 mths! :lol:

Turbodave

Post by Turbodave »

Not sure what the DVLA would make of you reregisterring it... Doors = 5 Edit... Doors = 2. Might raise a few eyebrows down in Swansea. However it's doable in the UK as Ecosse did similar with a 306 sedan, they removed the four doors and pieced in the doors and rear quarters from 3 door instead. It looks fooking amazing, modified car of the decade without doubt.
Choose Cavaliers, choose Air Max, choose Tom Wilson and Ultrasonic, choose V-power, choose 6th gear, choose Toyo Proxes, choose to prove anything is possible... except stopping the back arches rusting.
www.cavalierturbo.com www.wallaceperformance.co.uk