Leaky headlights

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Telegram Sam

Leaky headlights

Post by Telegram Sam »

Is there an obvious invisible place where moisture gets in and deposits itself on the inside of the headlamp glass? I replaced my headlights not so long ago and they still look new. I suppose I could just run some Capt Tolley's sealant along the top edge and hope that wherever the ingress is it plugs the gap.
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Colorado

Re: Leaky headlights

Post by Colorado »

mine still do it. Pain in arse cannot see how it gets in
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Tip I got as "cure" rather than prevention was to leave the rear black backing disc thing (correct terminology?) off (temporarily) and this helps it dry out. I'd prefer to stop the moisture getting in in the first place though cos in time the lens interior goes mouldy, especially if like mine the car lives outside. May be some bodywork person can come up with a fixit.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yes, it probably gets in through the back. There is a small breather at the back of the unit, with a small rubber pipe coming out of it, which should vent the headlights out, the easiest way to get rid of condensation is removing the bulb cover, used to do it on my old V6 quite a lot, just pop it back and let it rest on the airbox housing, drive around for a while, hopefully the heat will get in and dry out the inside of the lens.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Can't say I recognize the breather pipe but I'll have another look, daylight permitting. I think the man who designed the spring clip attachment that secures my bulb in position is the same man that designed the road wheel disc attachment before the term user friendly had been invented. I remove the bulb only in emergencies and usually have to pay a mechanic to put it back .. Can't even get access with a hair dryer :(
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

It should be next to the bulb cover housing, tucked away somewhat. Easiest way to get to it is to remove the headlamp. Doesn't take a genius to do that as you may well know. 3 securing screws, indicator out, job done. I'm sure all Cavalier headlight units have those breathers.

Hair dryer probably won't cure it as it will get too warm in there, natural air is best really, if I were you, I'd try removing the lenses, and seeing if the lens gasket is ripped or perished anywhere. Heating the edge of the lens where it meets the plastic headlamp housing all the way round usually helps when separating the lens. Best to do it in-doors. Give it a good clean inside, maybe a bit of silicone when re-fitting, depending on the condition of the gasket.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Should it be possible to see the breather pipe with the black backing disc plate removed without taking the headlamp out? If all else fails by daylight with one of those mirrors-on-a-rod?

Considering the age of the units I'd be miffed if the lens gasket was already deteriorating. If it is then gut feeling makes me suspect that the ingress is probably via the top and minute leaks in the join are presumably what my tube of "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure" is designed to remedy.

That said I think the moisture on the inside is gradually evaporating in the (dry??) weather.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

You might be able to see it, mirror on a stick (Opti-Wand) as the SWAT designates them, would be useful indeed.
Previous: