Another Question Regarding Removing The Front Bumper

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Retroman

Another Question Regarding Removing The Front Bumper

Post by Retroman »

Hi all

My first post here despite joining some time ago. I appreciate there is already a lot of info on here about removing the front bumper but either I'm being a bit stupid or earlier Cavs are a little different?

I've got a 1990 Cavalier L 1.6 8v. Unfortunately last week someone decided to leave their side of the road and the resulting head on took out a head light, bent the bumper reinforcement bar and left the panel under the headlights twisted. Also the front bumper was split. The car is a really nice low mileage and solid example and I want to fix it. I know I wont be able to get the panel straightened properly but the rest is a bolt on affair so should be manageable.

I've been stumped by the bumper though. I'm not sure if the pre face lift, or non body colour bumpers are different, but I don't seem to have the 8mm bolts at either end referred to in the Haynes manual, and on this forum.

There are some small bolts at each end tapping into the wings, then there are the clips which link into the wings that needed me to flex the bumper into the centre to disconnect them. These are all released OK.

I'm just left with a bolt of some description in the lowest corners of the bumper, attaching it to the inner wing (plastic splash panels). I really can't work them out, they don't seem to have screw heads or hex bolt heads. Are they some sort of special Vauxhall connector or am I being completely daft?

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Thank you

Graham
ilovedmymantas

Re: Another Question Regarding Removing The Front Bumper

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hi,
from your description it sounds like it may be a splash guard fixing. You can see how they work from this photo.
Just push the plastic pin out ( large jeweller's screwdriver is ideal size) & re use when fitting
Hope i'm on the right track

matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Retroman wrote:Hi all

My first post here despite joining some time ago. I appreciate there is already a lot of info on here about removing the front bumper but either I'm being a bit stupid or earlier Cavs are a little different?

I've got a 1990 Cavalier L 1.6 8v. Unfortunately last week someone decided to leave their side of the road and the resulting head on took out a head light, bent the bumper reinforcement bar and left the panel under the headlights twisted. Also the front bumper was split. The car is a really nice low mileage and solid example and I want to fix it. I know I wont be able to get the panel straightened properly but the rest is a bolt on affair so should be manageable.

I've been stumped by the bumper though. I'm not sure if the pre face lift, or non body colour bumpers are different, but I don't seem to have the 8mm bolts at either end referred to in the Haynes manual, and on this forum.

There are some small bolts at each end tapping into the wings, then there are the clips which link into the wings that needed me to flex the bumper into the centre to disconnect them. These are all released OK.

I'm just left with a bolt of some description in the lowest corners of the bumper, attaching it to the inner wing (plastic splash panels). I really can't work them out, they don't seem to have screw heads or hex bolt heads. Are they some sort of special Vauxhall connector or am I being completely daft?

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Thank you

Graham
If i remember right from my early mk3 Graham the little screws down the bottom corner at the front wheelarch are a bit of a pain to get out. It's actually the mudguard they go through onto the bumper and the plastic bends when you are trying to push in to turn them. I think they might have been 8mm or something like that.
blowfelt

Post by blowfelt »

There maybe two 8mm bolts,one at each end of the bumper,right at the bottom where the bumper forms part of the front wheel arch.They bolt from the inside of the bumper to the plastic wheel arch splash guard,i think.

Is your bumper not repairable?....does it have the chrome trims on ?