Door clicking

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Cavdvm

Door clicking

Post by Cavdvm »

Evening all when I open the drivers door it's clicking , is the door pin shot at? Is it a big job to replace?
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: Door clicking

Post by James McGrath »

If it clicks twice as you open the door all the way it will probably be the check strap making the noise.

I've never done it myself but I would have thought it's quite easy to replace.
Cavdvm

Post by Cavdvm »

Any idea how to change the check strap pal I'm a bit of a novice ! Lol
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Our Project C had a similar issue, then the door check seemed to stop functioning. Investigated yesterday when we got her home (for the first time in 8 years!). Turned our the two bolts that clamp the mechanism to the door had come out, one was in the door recess. Managed to put that back nice and tight and it's a temporary cure until we can get anther second bolt. Before managing to get the one bolt tight, while testing opening and shutting, she made a similar sounding clicking noise. So it might be your bolts are loose and the mechanism is clicking / springing against the door. They are a bit fiddly to get to.

Open door as wide as you can. There a circular recess where the door check arm goes into the door. In the recess, in the door there should be two 8mm bolts above and below the arm. Try tightening them, it might do the trick. According to the Haynes manual, if it needs replacing, one has to:

Remove the door card, Punch out the pin connecting the arm to the car, remove the two afformentioned bolts then remove the mechanism and arm from the inside of the door. Replacement being the reverse using a new pin.

Good luck, hopefully just loose bolts, otherwise a bit of a job.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Cavdvm wrote:Any idea how to change the check strap pal I'm a bit of a novice ! Lol
Mines has been doing this since I got it, it goes click......click as the door is opening. You need to pop the little pin out that holds the door strap to the pillar then undo the bolts that hold the check strap mechanism and it should slide out. Not sure on the cav if they bolts are on outside or inside of door but should be 2 ten mils.