Rustproofing Cavalier inner rear wheel arches?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
GLC

Rustproofing Cavalier inner rear wheel arches?

Post by GLC »

Hi all,

My Cavalier needs the rear arches rustproofing from inside the boot compartment after being repaired, as you can't access the inner sections due to the way they have been boxed in to paint them either.

I really not keen on drilling holes into my Cav but looks as though I'll have no choice.

Any help on where best to drill and what to use would be greatly appreciated. Am only going to be using a spray wax products from a can as have no access to a compressor etc.

Cheers. :)
cavalier1990

Re: Rustproofing Cavalier inner rear wheel arches?

Post by cavalier1990 »

You should be able to get up in behind the fuel filer section inside the boot if you use something like dynax 50 underseal with the big long straw. you can also take the side panel trim off and in behind where back seat belt reel is, a wee bit more fiddly a job to get the thing off though.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I did mine from within the boot area with a long (5ft)! injection wand, seemed to work well as it was running out both ends!

Alan
GLC

Post by GLC »

Thanks both for the advice. :)

I'll have a look at stripping the wheel arch carpets out of the way etc hopefully this week once I can empty the boot of all the various bits and bobs that are currently in the way!

I'll see then if the Rustproofing cans are suitable for the task ahead. If not looks like I'll have to scrape some cash for a alternative such as Dynax 50 mentioned.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Get the best you can afford, and make sure the car is dry before you start as you don't want to be trapping moisture in there with the wax - that will only undo all the repair work. Prevention better than cure and all that. :thumb
Removing inner trims and giving yourself the best access is definitely the way to go.

Drivers side - you will be able to get access via the central locking solenoid hole once its removed, the rear seatbelt reel hole and if I recall correctly, if you pop out the rear quarter glass, there is a couple of points where the inner and outer wings are shaped where you might be able to squeeze a straw / hose in.

Passenger side, there are various holes that you can get a hose in with in particular - the aerial hole.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Thanks Envoy yeah with all this cold weather I'll have to pick my days don't want the rust back!

I'll try and see what trim I can carefully take off as I say hopefully this week and see where I can get in as I will sleep easier when thats sorted.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

No worries. For the time being, get a number of those dehumidifiers and put those in the car to keep moisture out of the air short term.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index