Trunk stopping mechanism

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
mo_ayman

Trunk stopping mechanism

Post by mo_ayman »

Hello guys,

I recently got in a crash and replaced the whole back end from the C pillar all the way back.

The trunk however opens all the way up till it hits the rubber seal and gets super close to the rear window.

I have to carefully open the trunk and rest it slowly on the seals or otherwise it would hit the rubber really hard.

There are 2 springs on both sides holding the trunk. But I don't know where is the thing that makes it stop.

Can anyone give me a picture of his springs thing and I then can compare what is wrong that I have in mine?

Thanks a lot.
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Trunk stopping mechanism

Post by iangsi »

I take it you have a saloon on the back of the hinge there is a piece of metal that sticks out at right angles to the hinge there should be a square rubber stop that slides onto the prong about 2cm square which stops the boot / trunk lid opening to far.

See link you want part no 11.

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/part/1/3 ... 8933,8934/
tonyo

Post by tonyo »

On the saloon, the bootlid has three spring settings.

1 - bare boot (where the spring is in this picture)
2 - boot with rear panel OR spoiler
3 - boot with rear panel AND spoiler. (The cutout at the back edge)

If you have the springs (one each side) too tight, then it will fly open quickly and nearly take the rear window out. Too loose, and the bootlid will try to swallow you as you reach in.

There are also two rubbers.. They are still available - I got a pair from GPS a few months back.. P/N just about visible here..

They fit here either side..

1992 Cav 2.0 8v Diplomat - RIP
1990 Astra 2.0 8v GTE Cabrio
2018 Jaguar XE 180 R-Sport
mo_ayman

Post by mo_ayman »

Thanks guys for the replies.

Yes, I have the saloon. I will check if I have the rubber things.

I am though wondering, Do they bolt in? Or do they stick with some double faced tape or what?

Also, What is part 10's job? I used to have it, but after getting the new rear end I don't. Is part 10 important?

Thanks a lot,

I will do it tomorrow and let you know.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Part 10 is just a cover / sleeve for the spring to stop stuff getting caught in the spring when it expands & contracts.
mo_ayman

Post by mo_ayman »

Okay guys, So I checked it today and found that I don't have these rubbers. I will now either get them or use another ones from my dad's toyota that look similar and use a double faced tape to stick it onto the car's body not the trunk lid handle.

Thanks a lot guys.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

No need to stick them there is a slot on them & they just slide onto the bracket.
mo_ayman

Post by mo_ayman »

I will take a closer look when I get the rubber part then.

Thank you.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Some useful information here.
I've had one of those rubber stops lying around for years and years not knowing what it was or where it came from.
Looked at the LS today and lo and behold one was missing on the right side.
I've fitted it back on now, reunited for the first time in at least 15 years. :cheers
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

They are pesky things, they fall off all the time. I had this on my old saloon, couldn't work out why the boot was almost touching back window until I found these rubber things lying in the spare wheel well. They fell off again. When you look at the slot that is in them the edges crack and it then doesn't have anything to grip to the slot on hinge lever so just keep falling off. I even got new ones and they still fell off lol. Bit of arldite should fix that!