Aligning the slam panel

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Nova_Tek

Aligning the slam panel

Post by Nova_Tek »

Afternoon everyone,

I'm after some techniques and ideas on the best way to make sure I align the two front panels of the cavalier properly, namely the slam panel and the strip panel that runs underneath the grille and headlamps.

The car previously had the slam panel changed due to corrosion but the person who fitted it done so in such a way that the headlamps would touch the bonnet corners when the bonnet was shut.

Due to a front end bump the slam panel is being changed again to a genuine item, as is the below strip, but I want to make sure it's straight as a die so the whole front end looks spot on and not like it's face is pissed off! :D

Many Thanks :thumb
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: Aligning the slam panel

Post by Envoy CDX »

Measure, and measure again. Get yourself some clamps too, they will help alot.

I have the book figures somewhere for the measurements somwhere, but do not cut out the old slam panel until you have it as straight as you can get it. Otherwise you're going to have a nightmare on your hands trying to get it to line back up. If you know somewhere that can jig it, look into that first.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Thanks for the reply Envoy CDX,

The old slam panel wasn't really a good reference point as that wasn't straight, either way it was quite mangled and so was removed to help tidy things up in preparation for new panels.

If you could get me those measurements that would be awesome. I was thinking to take it to a body shop and get them to fit it, but that's only if I'm having major trouble.

Thanks again :thumb
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Nova_Tek wrote:Thanks for the reply Envoy CDX,

The old slam panel wasn't really a good reference point as that wasn't straight, either way it was quite mangled and so was removed to help tidy things up in preparation for new panels.

If you could get me those measurements that would be awesome. I was thinking to take it to a body shop and get them to fit it, but that's only if I'm having major trouble.

Thanks again :thumb
You need to clamp it in place and then fit things like hlights, grill etc. to see how it all fits with bonnet and wings. Agree, measure, measure and measure again before being sure.
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Thanks cavalier1990,

That may be the best way forward. Lets hope the weekend has good weather :thumb