Front wings

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
3cav3

Front wings

Post by 3cav3 »

Looking at them I can't see any differences between pre face lift and post face lift front wings. Is this right?
Also I notice that most the new wings are pattern parts, has anybody got any experience of fitting these, I've had some bad experiences with the panel gaps on pattern wings that I fitted to a vw caddy pickup, and one of the ones I replaced on my Subaru,( because that was all I could source new).
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Front wings

Post by Robsey »

The pattern panel tend to have more of a curved profile than originals.

It is easy to spot on my front wings compared to the door panels.

You may find the odd original panel on ebay from time to time.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

The wings should fit any model, they are all the same design as far as I know. Obviously as long as they are UK spec, not European where they don't have side repeaters. No idea on how good pattern parts are, never had experience with bodywork panels myself.

Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Genuine parts search have a right side front wing at £118.

Part number is 90269073.

They do not have any left side wings
(Part number 90269072).

A pattern Klokkerholme part will be less than half that, and probably twice as thick.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:The pattern panel tend to have more of a curved profile than originals.

To be honest, looking at your photos I can't see any difference, perhaps it's a bit different in the flesh?
Do you know if genuine parts accepts credit cards or are they like a lot of firms only taking PayPal?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My last three purchases have been credit card only.
No option for paypal.
Which is strange these days.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

After speaking to genuine parts search, they said it had to come from Germany on probably a pallet for protection, so I was going to be looking at another £50+ for carriage, so I've decided to leave it for the time being and keep my eyes on eBay as you suggested.
Last night I bought a genuine N/S wing off there for around £90 delivered all in which I felt was a more realistic price.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

3cav3 wrote:
Robsey wrote:The pattern panel tend to have more of a curved profile than originals.

To be honest, looking at your photos I can't see any difference, perhaps it's a bit different in the flesh?
Here is a wing fitted by a body shop 10 years ago after a recovery truck drove into my front passenger door and wing.
You can see the wing is more curved than the door.

The driver's side looks fine.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I see what you mean. In the past its been more the panel gaps that have irritated me rather than the wing sticking out, like that.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The panel gaps are also quite huge.
I remember Troy (who did my resto) being quite exasperated by the size of the panel gaps.
3cav3

Re: Front wingsbh

Post by 3cav3 »

The new genuine wing arrived yesterday, wasn't helped by sending it to my home address despite the fact that I put my works address for delivery so there could be somebody in to sign for it. On the plus side though it was extremely well packed, so a big thumbs up. I've also just ordered a pattern o/s wing. The way I see it is I can probably tweet the panel gaps, if not then I'll use it as a repair piece to splice in to my existing wing like I ended up doing with my subaru.