Sunroof seal

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Mk3alan

Sunroof seal

Post by Mk3alan »

Anyone changed the seal around the glass sunroof?
Mines ok but my Astra's could do with replacing as I think it has broken down with UV and it looks to be the same size/design.
Any ideas!

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Sunroof seal

Post by Robsey »

I have had a look at various parts sites, and none of them list the gasket (seal) as a separate part.

They all just quote the glass panel complete with gasket.

The part number for panel and gasket is 90589311.
It is the same part for Cavalier, Astra-F and Senator-B.

Is it leaking in?
If it isn't, I would be tempted to leave it alone. Parts don't like being disturbed after 20 years.

If it is leaking, then you have little to lose.

I am going to sound daft here, but maybe something like STP oil seal treatment may help. It is supposed to help rejuvenate tired leaky rubber seals by making them swell and possibly more supple.

It may also reduce the hard dried-out brittle texture by reimpregnating any lost natural oil content back into the rubber.

Not exactly a recommendation - just thinking out loud, so to speak.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Thanks for reply Robsey, it's not leaking in although it obviously leaks as water can be seen in channeling under the joint area which goes down the drains. Interesting you say Astra F, mine is a G and looking at the parts list it is part number 90589339, so it is obviously a different glass anyway!
It looks like it's lost some of its flexibility so I will give it some lube and see if it helps.
I realise the gasket isn't listed but was considering probably cutting it off (once glass removed) and sticking on a D section hollow type self adhesive seal which seems to be available in different heights, or, apply a waterproof tape to the inside of the aperture to improve the compression of the existing gasket.
However the oil does sounds the potentially easiest solution!
Will give it a whirl.

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ah yes - that part number is Astra-g, Zafira-A and Vectra-B.

Just wondering if it is worth looking at getting the complete glass roof and gasket from a scrap car.

I always seemed to find the parts on scrapped cars were in much better nick than those on my car.
But then my car has had a hard / busy life.

I have to point out that the oil idea may do as much harm as good. I have no idea.
I will feel a right C@#t if it makes the seal worse or wrecks it completely.