Paint bleaching?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Mk3alan

Paint bleaching?

Post by Mk3alan »

My Bordeaux Red CD has lived the last 20 years under various covers which it has survived well.
I recently bought a new cover from Halfords where I have had the last 2 or 3 from. This had only been in position for a couple of weeks when I noticed some alarming 'bleached' type marks on the bootlid. I blamed the breathable all seasons cover and took this up with Halfords who are quite happy to refund the cost and investigate the paint problem. At best I can imagine this would result in a repainted bootlid, something I was not keen on. However during the recent hot spell it started to disappear! and it's now gone completely!

I fitted a new Stormforce cover yesterday and today giving the car a once over I have a new mark on the bootlid? Obviously moisture/water related.

I'm thinking now it must be the paint somehow. Or could it be my wax finish?
I generally use Mcquires Gold Class but the last time I waxed the bodywork I used Farecla G3 a soft but solid wax which I thought worked well. I'm thinking now about striping all waxes and starting again (don't know what with though)
I have seen in the past similar effect in door shuts which disappear but never on outer panels.

Years ago my Dad's red mini after rain would sometimes be peppered in rainspots, used to drive him mad as this was his pride and joy (used to polish under the wheel arches!) and he would spend a goodly amount of time removing them, of course this was a solid colour whereas the CD is a metallic finish.

Anyone had similar effects (and solutions!)
Photo of latest bleach mark.

Alan