Mould / algae remover

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Telegram Sam

Mould / algae remover

Post by Telegram Sam »

The car stands outside and over time green growth accumulates in the nooks and crannies. Brushing can remove some but not all of this. Anything like a cleaner dissolver solvent that I can use that won't attack the paintwork?
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Cavalier342

Re: Mould / algae remover

Post by Cavalier342 »

I've always found an old soft toothbrush is useful, pour a small bowl or mug of car shampoo with hot water, and go around the green areas with the brush, then rinse the car off with clean water. You can get good access to most of the areas where green mold appears with a toothbrush.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I agree that used soft toothbrushes are an excellent invention for such tasks. If the growth is stubborn I have some bicarb of soda. Would using that diluted risk damaging the paintwork and / or trim?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I have no idea to be honest, I wouldn't try it myself, and would just stick with good car shampoo and hot water.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Oral-B or Colgate?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm not an expert but I believe they go on teeth.
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You are asking about liquids and pastes that are not pH neutral or may contain salts or other chemicals that may encourage corrosion or denaturing of the various car parts.

As Andrei says, use a proper car shampoo.
Warm water will simply soften any crusted on dirt a bit quicker, and the shampoo cleans and protects.

---------------

Not recommended, but the chap next door to my mother in law regularly cleans the whole of his car with Mr Muscle.

No idea which of the Mr Muscle squirty bottle range he uses, but it is definitely Mr Muscle.

His cars are always clean, but I would suspect that he is stripping off protective oils at the same time he is washing the dirt off. :?
tom50

Post by tom50 »

I have used a product called MMC pro, for clearing paths and driveways, but it works on the cavi too, you dilute it with water , no damage to the paintwork or plastic /rubber trim ect
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Can't believe i didn't see this when it was first posted!

I'm a conservator for the national trust so preventing and treating mould on historic objects is part of my job.

First of all, make sure you always wear a mask when dealing with mould.
Then you want to deal with the visible part of the mould. There are many way of doing this depending on the situation.
One of the best ways to remove it is with something called a smoke sponge. It's basically a rubber sponge that you wipe over the surface to remove all of the impurities. Its main advantage is that it traps all the mould within it and helps prevent the spores from spreading.
Another option would be to simply brush it off with a soft brush directly into a hover with a HEPA filter.

Next you want to treat the spores left over. Again there is more than one way of doing this but I would suggest using a 70/30 mix of ethanol and water (70% ethanol) and simply wiping it over the surface with a lint free cotton cloth or cotton wool.

This way you are least likely to damage the surface you are treating.