Fitting a cassette box

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
dorsetdave

Fitting a cassette box

Post by dorsetdave »

I have a 1993 2.0 8v auto saloon LS Cavalier. I bought a secondhand Vauxhall cassette box which sits at the back of the centre console behind the hand brake. I removed the rubber mat that sits in the recess and saw the two slots for the tangs to sit in. However there seems to be some sort of hard grey plastic blocking those tangs from slotting in. Has anyone any ideas?
Thanks for looking.
1993 LS 2.0 8V auto Saloon. Satin Red
1994 CD 2.0 8V auto Hatch. Nautilus
1986 1.8i auto cabrio only 8000 miles. Polar white
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Fitting a cassette box

Post by Robsey »

That will be your crash sensor.
It detects the rate of deceleration, and if you slow down too fast - as in a crash, it triggers the air bag.

I tried to fit a cassette box to my car, but could not get it to fit. The trough itself is simply not deep enough.
The cassette holder sits about 4 or 5 cm above the centre console.

So it is sat in a box of spares collecting dust, as I just cannot work out where I am going wrong.
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Thanks Robsey, it's nice to know that I wasn't being completely stupid! I will put it back in it's box until I have a suitable Cavalier without an airbag.
1993 LS 2.0 8V auto Saloon. Satin Red
1994 CD 2.0 8V auto Hatch. Nautilus
1986 1.8i auto cabrio only 8000 miles. Polar white
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I hope you are right...
I am just waiting for someone to come along and tell us both that they have a cassette holder fitted and they have an air bag.

I did search Haynes, TIS2000 and GlobalTIS for info, but none of them mention the cassette holder.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is a fair few months since the last post on this thread, but after looking at EPC, I managed to suss out that the square shaped cassette holder was indeed for earlier models...
Presumably those without airbags and crash sensors.

The later style is a flatter letter-box shape, and sits in the cubby hole below the radio.
The place where you would retro fit the volt and oil-pressure gauges - a la calibra style.

So just for info....
The images, which show both types in the wrong orientation.

The range number starts P, so I presume that is for Cavalier, Astra-F and Calibra from model year 1993.

So assuming your VIN says 87 or 89 followed by P, R or S, the old square style centre console mounted holder will not fit.

But before you rush out to order one for your L, M or N reg Cavalier... I have not found any available anywhere.