Seatbelt clip

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Frodz

Seatbelt clip

Post by Frodz »

Hello

Recently my seatbelt will not lock in at all, sometimes is does clip in but as soon as I breathe out it just unclips.

I’ve found a work around, I just plug it into the passenger side. Which I don’t think is entirely legal or safe. If I have a passenger on board then I don’t have a seat belt at all.

So does anyone know a fix or can I use any different Vauxhall model seatbelts?

Thanks
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Seatbelt clip

Post by Robsey »

It sounds like it is the socket part that is sticking or gummed up.

Have you tried squirting a bit of Carburettor cleaner, Plus Gas or WD40 into the socket part to loosen or soften whatever is jamming up the mechanism.

The problem that you may have, is that the seat belt socket is part of a large pyrotechnic retractor mechanism.

So -
1 - do not wallop the socket to shake the insides loose. (Unless you fit the red anti-trigger piece onto the end of the retractor tube).
2 - it is a difficult part to get, as it cannot be posted - again due to the explosive mechanism.
3 - it is quite a large part that is specific to the Cavalier and Calibra.

You can carefully prize the covers off the buckle to get better access to clean the mechanism.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

If you have a model without seat belt pre-tensioners, you don't need to worry about any explosive parts.

If you can find a scrappers or a breakers yard somewhere and they have a car or two in there, worth just going there and getting hold of a second hand replacement, chances are it'll work. Can always test it while you're there.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Frodz

Post by Frodz »

Thanks for the replies!

I feel like a right plonker right now, I’m sat here thinking “explosives in seatbelts!? Naaaaaah” but after thinking about it and YouTubing I have learnt what you guys are on about.

It’s a 95 ‘classic’ cavalier. Anyone know if that has the explosive jobbies? Because that sounds well out of league for fixing lol

Cheers again boys
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I suspect all Cavaliers after 1993 will have the "explosive" retracting belts.

So yes, yours should have them.

A big black cylinder along the outer edge of the underside of each front seat.

Connected by a long brown sleeved retractor cable sheath.

To the base of the seat belt socket.

The socket should have a concertina style rubber bellows immediately below the buckle socket.

In all honesty, you need a decent shock wave to trigger the retractor.
Like whacking the cylinder with a big hammer.

What you want to do is simply clean and lubricate the buckle socket thingy.

Just a matter of NOT whacking anything near the seat to vibrate the buckle mechanism loose.

My buckle played up a few years ago, due to being gunked up with restoration muck and dust.
It has worked itself loose over time.
So always works fine now.

There can only be two things wrong with yours.

Clogged / jammed / seized up due to muck and dust.
Or
The internal sprung latch of the buckle is worn / broken.

If it is broken, then full replacement is the only possible fix
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:It sounds like it is the socket part that is sticking or gummed up.

Have you tried squirting a bit of Carburettor cleaner, Plus Gas or WD40 into the socket part to loosen or soften whatever is jamming up the mechanism.
As said, it probably just needs a good clean, a method that's worked for me too.

Don't worry too much about the dramatic sounding explosive seat belt pre-tensioners, it sounds more daunting than it is.

The red anti-trigger piece Robsey mentioned is attached near the end of the cylinder, tucked out of sight.
You just slot it in the end to lock the tube, I think this is covered in the Haynes manual, the next best thing to a forum :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Frodz

Post by Frodz »

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it.

I’ve sprayed some wd40 in it so will see how we get on

Thanks again
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Being as they are facing up they tend to pickup more than their fair share of crud, might be worth giving it a good blast with an airline.

Alan