Door check strap

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Skara

Door check strap

Post by Skara »

I haven't come across any topic regarding door check straps. Not sure for the rest of you but the problem I'm having is when a car is parked on a steep hill facing upwards and I try to open the doors no matter which of 4 doors are, they are closing back on it's own and in some situations it is I would say dangereous. What I'm trying to say is they can't stay open on its own if I don't hold them. I tried disassemble them a few times the thing I noticed and I might be wrong but the check link seems to be worn out. By the looks of it check links seem to be made on some sort of hydraulic press and 30 years of opening the doors could indeed worn the small ''hills'' on the links. Question is, is there any remedy for this because I know the new check straps/links would be extremely hard to find if any at all exists ?
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Door check strap

Post by iangsi »

I thought the check straps were to stop the door flying open if the wind catches it when you open them, not to hold them in position when you open them. I mite be wrong though.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Cavalier/Vectra A doors are always wanting to close by themselves anyway, it's just how the cars were designed. Other makes and models are different obviously. Steep hills just exaggerate it. In my experience, the front doors are more so than the rear doors. Rear doors tend to stay open more, perhaps because they are lighter than the front doors.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Skara

Post by Skara »

Yeah but let's say for an example you have a large item in your car on your front passanger seat the item is so large that you have to take it out with both of your hands and you can't hold the door with one hand and take the item with the other so it would be convenient if you could open the door in one position(check link for front doors has 2 positions and 1 position on rear doors) and take the item away and come back and close the door. While the car is on flat ground there is no problem at all but if you live somewhere where the car park is on steep hill you're in for a hard leg or hand pinch by the door if you get what I mean. So in all fairness check strap is partly for protection from the wind but I also think it's for holding the door open in 1 or 2 position.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

It should hold the door open, there's a little bump on the strap for that.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I suppose it depends on the steepness of the hill.
The doors are quite heavy, and so can easily overcome the friction on the check strap.

You could get a wide bull-dog clip.
Clip it around the check-strap.

That should limit how far the door can close.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-of-12-B ... 7030035755