DECENT Body shop required in West Yorkshire area

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Calibre500

DECENT Body shop required in West Yorkshire area

Post by Calibre500 »

I am looking for a trusted bodyshop for work on my GSi. I was hoping the person I used about 17 years ago for my Mk2 Calibre would do it but when he came to check the car, he said it was too much work for him due to health reasons. I was gutted because he did an absolutely fantastic job on my Calibre. So now I have no one I trust to undertake all the work, hence but to ask the forum for help.

Work includes:
NS + OS rear wings, inner and outer
OS rear inner sill (approx 6 inches)
NS + OS full outer sills
NS + OS front inner wings
OS floor pan - tiny hole
Possible work on front floor pan
Full respray

Need to source decent parts for above work too if anyone can recommend a place?

Might be odd bits left but not major. All major work detailed above.

Looking for bodyshop in and around Leeds/Bradford/Dewsbury/Halifax for convenient recovery.
Thanks.
ilovedmymantas

Re: DECENT Body shop required in West Yorkshire area

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I'm nowhere near but I wish you luck finding one :thumb
Is there no-one he could recommend from his trade connections?
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I think there is only Blowfelt and myself in the North West now.
There is Troy over here near Manchester, who does welding and bodywork as a hobby, but he is silly busy.
And due to personal circumstances he has not been doing ANY car work since July. My van included :(

Blowfelt is from the West Yorkshire area, so may be the best bet for "local" knowledge.

Otherwise, it is just a matter of looking online.
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

Thank you both for you're replies. I have asked Paul the guy who did my Calibre but he couldn't think of anyone offhand but said he would rack his brains and see if can come up with someone.

I had asked Troy (pre-covid) and he was going to come out to look at the welding work and give me a quote but then when covid hit, I kind of left it. I didn't realise he did bodywork. He said he would do the fabrication side but that was all. Only issue was the distance to Oldham and to keep going over to see progress.

I'll see if I can message Blowfelt and see if he can help. It's difficult finding someone who will do a really good job but keep prices reasonable. A place in Bingley I contacted said their prices start from £4000!! And welding work will be on top. I've managed to scrape a bit together over the years it's been parked but that amount was out of my budget especially seeing it STARTS at £4K.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yes Troy completely rebuilt my Cavalier in 2015 to 2017.

Although he prefers smaller jobs these days.

To be honest for the amount of work you listed, plus paintwork... £4000 is a very fair price.
I bet I paid something like that, even with mates rates.

The whole thing was nearly £8000 as I spent loads more on new suspension, fuel, exhaust, ignition, wheels and so on.
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

I've messaged Blowfelt several days ago but haven't had a reply as yet. Anyone know if he's around or how busy he might be?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

He hasn't logged in since thursday lunchtime - I am sure he will surface soon.

I did a quick "Google" of "VBRA car body shop in West Yorkshire" and pulled up nearly 20 companies around the Leeds, Bingley, Bradford and Huddersfield areas.
Some with 10 or more years of business.

You do get a few vinyl wrap and tuning centres, but a lot saying car body shop or car body repairs.
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

Thanks for that Robsey. I'll be patient and wait for a reply.
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

Blowfelt did reply on Sunday but I didn't check my emails till late. Unfortunately he said he can't help and wasn't sure why he was mentioned for this post. Oh well. Will still keep on looking. Have someone coming to look at car on Fri so see what he says.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

He was mentioned as he is the only member in that area, and he may have known someone.
It was just a long shot.
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

Ah, ok. Sorry I thought uoud mentioned him because he did bodywork and was closer to me to ask. Thanks.