Door mirrors

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
paul_34

Door mirrors

Post by paul_34 »

Hi guys. Does anyone know if genuine GM replacement mirror glass fits in aftermarket mirror housings?

I'm guessing (hoping) all the internals are the same :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Door mirrors

Post by Robsey »

I have never heard of any issues in my many years of ownership.
Although I have only fitted one aftermarket mirror glass to an original mirror.
I think it was a Summit mirror glass from Halfords...
Before Halfords changed from a car parts supplier to a bicycle shop, and started over-charging for generic car parts.
paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

Thanks Robsey. I've just received a brand new drivemaster mirror. I have a genuine gm blind spot glass that I bought years ago that I'm hoping will fit it. It looks good quality and everything seems to look the same as a genuine unit. I'll have to get the cover off the old unit and have a look. Never messed about with MK3 mirrors, I'm guessing the internals are totally different to MK2's lol
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I would think they are quite different -
From memory, mk2 mirrors were flatter and squarer in profile.
Mk3's are obviously a lot more rounded.
Although I presume most mk2's are fixed - without angle adjustment.
paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

Well they do look different. I'm sure I have spare motors in the garage but can't find them. When you manually move the GM mirrors they crack and click as you're moving the mechanism by hand, these new mirrors make no noise what so ever, the mirror plate seem to be mounted flush onto the motor. I will have to wait until I can strip the broken passenger mirror down. May end up leaving the drivers side original and just swapping the mirror glass and rear cover, just thought it would be nice to have two new mirrors.
paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

Sorted :thumb

Managed to dismantle the new mirror without breaking the glass :lol: also found a spare motor.

To use genuine mirror glass with my aftermarket unit i need to swap the motors out. The original motor fits perfectly using the same mountings.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzQ1Ew