facelift mv6 alloy on cav. will they fit?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
humbucker
Club Admin

facelift mv6 alloy on cav. will they fit?

Post by humbucker »

anyone know what the width of the cav mk3 wheel width is? i was thinking of fitting a set of facelift 17" omega mv6 wheels to my cav and wondered if theyd fit? 5 stud to 5 stud, but omega being RWD i wondered if id have any problems?
Gaz

Re: facelift mv6 alloy on cav. will they fit?

Post by Gaz »

Fit yes, rub definitely
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

rub? how come? i have 17s on the car already?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

sit out too far towards the rear arches, unless your on standard ride height where it doesn't matter
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

ah im on 40mm drop all round at the moment. but wouldnt that same problem occur on my existing alloys (fitted by previous owner?)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

No because to get 17"on a cav you have to have a specific offset (how the centre of the wheel is spaced from the hub) the omega are et33 as the 17" will be about et 45 so it will stick out a good 12mm or so towards the arches.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

hmmn. been out and checked all my wheels. omega 16" ET 39, original cdx 15" alloys 49, the 17" alloys on there at the moment 35!! this is a little baffling to someone who knows nothing about wheels sizes and offsets. does this mean omega 17s at 33 et will sit 'as well' as the existing 17s?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

looks like it, guess i stand corrected.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

that said, the existing ones at 35 might not be the best fit; they rub if there is a couple of 'portley' passengers in the back. fortunately i never plan on having any passengers in there so i might just get away with it if i dont drive over speed bumps too quick or load up with the rellies... does this make sense? i take it this is the rubbing you were speaking of? pushing the tyre edge towards the bodywork? any other concerns with this? im surprised at et 49s being on a v6 set up, but i guess this might have been a vx cost cutting measure, supplying a standard set of wheels to ALL cdx drivers regardless of hub set up?
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

My 17's are 39ET, with the drop the do rub if you have ppl in the back and hit a bump. or at the front with full lock at speed. I had ordered 42ET at the tuning garage. I didnt notice the gave me the wrong ones till a year later when I took a wheel off to do the brakes. The invoice said 42ET, Was gutted lol. But Steinmetz old wheels in the nineties are 33ET. And I have stienmetz suspension set up.
C30XE
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

HAIRIBO wrote:My 17's are 39ET, with the drop the do rub if you have ppl in the back and hit a bump. or at the front with full lock at speed. I had ordered 42ET at the tuning garage. I didnt notice the gave me the wrong ones till a year later when I took a wheel off to do the brakes. The invoice said 42ET, Was gutted lol. But Steinmetz old wheels in the nineties are 33ET. And I have stienmetz suspension set up.
i think thats the key to it; maybe theyre not quite right but just dont have anyone in the back and watch the bumps and you'll be ok. thankfully i dont plan on ever having any load in the back so i'll give it a whirl and see how i get on hehe
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Just dont take a group of doormen for a ride along a farmers feild and you'll be fine. At the end of the day your car is going to be nothing like the saxo/106 boys that lower their cars and slow right down to go over them speed humps. your cav will still be very uusable. Get them rims on and give us a look!!
C30XE
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

will do! im picking them up on saturday, but will be putting them to one side until the first stage of the 'facelift'. ive got to get a new tyre on one of the existing wheels first, wall is split right through on the inside and was flat as anything when i went out yesterday. if my existing tyres are 17s and the new ones are 17s will the tyres on the existing wheels be the same size? i ask cos the tyres coming on the wheels are for an old senator and so will be the wrong size for the cav AND my omega!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

haha picked up the new wheels, stunning they are, and the ET is 39, not the listed 33!! that means theyre exactly the same set up as the existing wheels! result! panic over!! :cool
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

HAIRIBO wrote:Just dont take a group of doormen for a ride along a farmers feild and you'll be fine. At the end of the day your car is going to be nothing like the saxo/106 boys that lower their cars and slow right down to go over them speed humps. your cav will still be very uusable. Get them rims on and give us a look!!
You calling me a saxo owner?!!?"!"!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

fight fight fight!
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Gaz wrote:
You calling me a saxo owner?!!?"!"!
Why do you have to slow down to less than 5mph to go over a bump?????? :no
C30XE
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

no but its normally down to 10/20
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Gaz wrote:no but its normally down to 10/20
Well thats not bad most cars need to do that!
C30XE