Water in the boot...

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Cavalier342

Re: Water in the boot...

Post by Cavalier342 »

Easiest way to clean the spare wheel bay and surrounds is to remove the 2 rubber plugs at the bottom, 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock ones. (position speaking) Then grab a sponge and bucket and work away, and pour the bucket to drain all the crap out. Make sure you dry everything out thoroughly after or you'll still have moisture in there after. Use the sponge or a chamois cloth.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
mitch

Post by mitch »

I fitted a new aerial grommet as part of my boot leak fix, used a bit of grease to seal it. Got it here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astr ... _646wt_954

Also, as previously mentioned, I removed and sealed around the rear lights.
Also put grease around the grommets where the wires enter the tailgate. I don't think silicon sealant will last due to the constant movement of these grommets.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Right thought I'd take another pop at this since it wasn't raining or gusting... :D

Attempted another fix up of the rear washer hose which was the culprit in the water entry... This was the problem...

12010600.JPG

Split into two, for no reason whatsoever.... I assume somebody previously either replaced the grommet and cut the hose or it split itself.. :scratch

Before I stuck a WD-40 straw in both sections as a bridge and taped it up. Worked for a while.. did it again... de ja vu.. so I got an idea today...

The most readily available bit of solid pipe I could find was a pen...

12010601.JPG

I cut it down to size, and wedged the hose sections onto it...

12010602.JPG
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Then gaffer taped it up... the tape is supposed to be waterproof so should work.... before I used electrical tape..

12010603.JPG

Tested it, no leaks so far, hoping that it's sorted now. Was a bit fiddly but got there in the end. I'll keep an eye on it.
Previous:

carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

My leak has reared its ugly head again, not been used for a while and just sat in garage.

N/S seems ok, O/S has mould again!

Theres a seam below the exterior of the "D" pillar, tucked up behind the boot trims, spotted a drop of water on the wires for the lights and managed to squeeze a hand up and its filthy and wet.

Cant see it being the light as its above the top edge so leads me to think it is the grommets for the boot wiring or the rear quarter light.

I have had the wiring grommets for the boot out when I fitted a boot opener, so thats my gut instinct.

Andrei, The tape will be water repellant, but I doubt the glue will be, you may find your self back at square one in a few months. A section of brass tube from a hobby/model shop would be ideal as you can get a snug fit and shrink wrap around the out side would seal it better.
"Redefining success since 1981"
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

carlos_canter wrote:
Andrei, The tape will be water repellant, but I doubt the glue will be, you may find your self back at square one in a few months. A section of brass tube from a hobby/model shop would be ideal as you can get a snug fit and shrink wrap around the out side would seal it better.
Thanks for the tip mate, will keep that in mind... :thumb
Previous:

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Carl -check the rear windows are seated right, the D pillar seams have a habit of going, mine was weeping i cleaned it out and when i painted it, i gave it a good coating and its not leaked since, look for something called creeping crack cure, it should sort the problem without painting.

andrei -http://evilempireperformance.co.uk/gto- ... cts_id=684 just buy one of these (not this exact one as its a bit expensive)
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Not a bad idea Gaz :thumb might pick one up from halfords or wherever. Cheers. :thumb
Previous:

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

if the pipe is the solid stuff you might need to heat it up a bit to get it to take right but its not an issue
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye, just need the right diameter that's all :thumb
Previous:

Cdxcav

Post by Cdxcav »

Don't mean to hijack the thread but... My boot carpet is damp, right up at the top nearest the boot opening all along it really, any ideas?

Was thinking perhaps the rear washer pipe or perhaps the sunroof drains?
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I don't think cavs are known for sealing well at any point in the car!

Check that the glass on the tailgate is fitted in properly, i mean not loose at all. Sounds stupid but i had a leak once on one of my old vectras and turns out the glass wasn't even in properly on the tailgate!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Cdxcav wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread but... My boot carpet is damp, right up at the top nearest the boot opening all along it really, any ideas?

Pull the carpet out and take a look. May be well worth checking the rear washer hose inside the grommet, that was my problem. Sunroof drains feed right down into the corners, pull them out, visually inspect them, and push though the grommets in the body where they go, to make sure it's not blocked. See my How2 on checking if the drains are blocked:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6600 :thumb
Previous:

Cdxcav

Post by Cdxcav »

Cavalier342 wrote:
Cdxcav wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread but... My boot carpet is damp, right up at the top nearest the boot opening all along it really, any ideas?

Pull the carpet out and take a look. May be well worth checking the rear washer hose inside the grommet, that was my problem. Sunroof drains feed right down into the corners, pull them out, visually inspect them, and push though the grommets in the body where they go, to make sure it's not blocked. See my How2 on checking if the drains are blocked:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6600 :thumb
Cheers buddy! I'll get out there now and give it a whirl..
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Take everything out, including the spare wheel, make sure there are no puddles there. Dry everything out as best you can, if the carpet is damp, leave it out of the car and dry it out overnight, as if you leave it in there it will only result in more damp spreading.

Good luck, keep us posted fella.
Previous:

tom50

Post by tom50 »

I too found a leak in the boot cause of Condensation and ice on inside of windscreen in winter , for me it was a process of elimination at 1st i thought it was the boot floor (sides behind wheel arches ) or wheel arches , found the underneath rusts and thin, so bogged the underneath after getting the loose rust and old sealer off and then Sealed that with shultz , Still leaking , Ariel grommet seal /cap perished , silicone'd it ,still leaking even after due overnight , found that the Seal for the tailgate wiring loom on the n/s was loose easy to move, and by pouring water over it established that it was allowing water ingress, So took it out cleaned the channel in the seal, and applied silicone Hopefully this will cure my leak
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

By the look of it they haven't had a leak in 9 years :D
David
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

vexorg wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:55 pm By the look of it they haven't had a leak in 9 years :D
:lol:

This might be the re-start of something. My boot's been leaking since last summers bump, lots of condensation.
I do notice a lot of latent water in the boot seal so it's probably there, it's on the offside and although not anywhere near, so is the white tidemark on the carpet :(
Shouldn't be too long before it's time to empty the piggy bank :) (aka loose change bottle) and get the new rear panel fitted, maybe that will improve things, the tailgate lock's slightly out just now.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure there is a mixture of wet british weather and condensation.
After being sat for a year, my boot carpets are damp, and I even found a few mushrooms growing.
Although, I promise that I am not trying to do any "one-upmanship" on anyone else.
Just a sign of being stored outdoors in all weathers.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Mine hasn't seen a rainy day in well over 10 years. It's about the only way to keep rust and dampness under control with older vauxhalls.
David
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

My V6's boot is in a bit of a poor state.

The fuel filler neck has rusted and is letting water into the boot. It's currently laid up under a car cover waiting for repair.
The Diplomat is ahead of it in the queue however. That's getting quite a bit more than a fuel filler neck at the moment. It's been in the workshop since December!