Door Pins

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Robsey
Club Admin

Door Pins

Post by Robsey »

Well looking through my EPC 4, and also discussed this with Envoy.

There are many older Cavaliers with door hinge pins that are said to be sized at 12mm diameter, however it says that these are no longer available.

Now it says you need to buy 8.1mm diameter pins.

How does that work?
Hold your doors on with pins that are 4mm narrower than it's originals.
cav door pin codes.JPG
cav door pins.JPG
I have just got a replacement door, and presume it would be a good idea to replace the pins.

Should I just replace the pins, or also the "plugs" ?
Gaz

Re: Door Pins

Post by Gaz »

the plugs just keep the grease in, as for nls i got some new ones when i painted mine so not sure what the issue is with supply
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Hmm not sure why its showing thinner pins, i would go in and order the original part number and see what you get, just order 2 for now and see if they fit ok, sure there only like a pound anyway, then if there the right ones then buy the rest for the other doors.

As for the plugs there literally just plastic bits you put in the top and bottom, don't really need them but you probably allready have them on your pins so re-use them.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

As Dan said, order them - to be honest when I've ordered them I just said can I get some Cav hinge pins and they wandered off and came back with them.
I compared my new ones today with the old ones I removed and they are identical.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmmm -

I love Vauxhall - lol

I shall get some tomorrow - only need two pins, as I am only hanging one door.

I just couldn't understand the mathematics.. 8.1 = 12
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Well - went to Evans Halshaw on St Mary's Way Stockport - None in until Tuesday :wall

Believe it or not, they didn't even have any generic rear exhaust hanger rubbers in stock either.
(but then again, neither do Halfords and Euro Car Parts).
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

The stockport one doesnt carry ANY stock anymore, not even copper washers! Your lucky if they even have oil in stock. They order everything in. I hate it there now, its run by idiots.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

TurboDan wrote:The stockport one doesnt carry ANY stock anymore, not even copper washers! Your lucky if they even have oil in stock. They order everything in. I hate it there now, its run by idiots.
Paul at Stockport is okay, and was trying to be very helpful... the other fella, well - enough said.

I prefer to use Pentagon in Oldham, but I rarely travel in that direction.
Parts people there have been spot on.

And despite many others who disagree - I even find the dealership at Ellesmere Port very useful and helpful.

But I do find that stockport have a crap computer system that is useless.
They had one computer running TIS2Web, and another running EPC4... but neither computer had both, and there was no link between the two.
Paul was clearly frustrated by the whole situation.
He was not surprised when I diss'd the grease monkeys in the service bay. (long story from 5 years ago). He had little apparent respect for them.
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

The good guys from Stockport moved to Trafford park and mainly concentrate on supplying the garages in the area.

Carl was ok but he's not on the parts desk anymore, and there was another guy who got laid off apparently.

So yeh alot of changes hence its not what it used to be and the computers used to run everything before the changes.
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

vauxtillidie wrote:Carl was ok but he's not on the parts desk anymore, and there was another guy who got laid off apparently.
Was it mark who used to be good, think he went to volvo, there was some bloke who i used to hate getting on the phone as it was always wrong.

Lloyd was awesome he knew what you wanted and no hassle, you were on the phone for about 10seconds placing an order and it was never wrong
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:Hmmm -

I love Vauxhall - lol

I shall get some tomorrow - only need two pins, as I am only hanging one door.

I just couldn't understand the mathematics.. 8.1 = 12
Bit of a resurrection but did anyone get to the bottom of this?

I've just ordered a pair of 90518425 but I don't understand the size difference either.

Do they fit correctly, is it an epc/ecat typo?
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I bought a full set of 8 pins.
They were okay for the front passenger door, but the bottom hinges of the other three doors have a lot of slack in them.

I was going to screw a self tapper into the narrow end of each of the pins in order to splay them out.

There is a long split down one side, so they can be opened out with a suitable pin punch or tapered drift.

Hence my thought to use a self tapping screw.

Despite the blurb saying no longer available, I was able to get them from the local dealer.

As an additional comment. The Stockport dealership closed a few years ago.

Meaning that all my over the counter parts in 2015 / 2016 / 2017 were bought from John and Dave at Lookers Ellesmere Port.
They were friendly, helpful and also quite reasonable price-wise.

From memory, I bought my door pins from Arnold Clark in Trafford Park along with a few other random small parts. Probably about 2014 ish.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

What's the best tool to remove these without wrecking the pins, and bodywork around it. I removed back door on senator and it was a faf and a half! I know there is a special puller but can't find what one it is.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I used a pair of grips around the pin, up against where it flairs out,
And then tapped against the side of the grips to knock the pins out.

Getting them back in again is a bit of a faff due to lack of space to swing my hammer / mallet. Especially on the back doors for some reason.

I suppose Troy would have used the correct tool, but I have no idea what it would be.

I have used proper pin punches for roll-pins in my job, so I suppose I would use those if there was adequate space.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:I used a pair of grips around the pin, up against where it flairs out,
And then tapped against the side of the grips to knock the pins out.

Getting them back in again is a bit of a faff due to lack of space to swing my hammer / mallet. Especially on the back doors for some reason.

I suppose Troy would have used the correct tool, but I have no idea what it would be.

I have used proper pin punches for roll-pins in my job, so I suppose I would use those if there was adequate space.
I done that on the senator, guessing they might be stuck and they weren't half, it basically wrecked the flared end, which started breaking, and some hammer hits around the frame pillar from trying to swing a hammer up under while holding the grips.