Cannot find a coolant expansion tank for mk 3 cavalier

Post queries that aren't covered by the other sections in 'The Workshop' here

Moderator: Robsey

alidoug

Cannot find a coolant expansion tank for mk 3 cavalier

Post by alidoug »

My 90 yr old Dad owns a Cavalier mk 3 hatchback 1.7TD which he bought new in 1993. Car Reg number: K405 TRT. A much loved and cherished car for him but now off the road because we can not find a replacement COOLANT EXPANSION TANK anywhere to replace the current one which has cracked and is leaking water rapidly.

I have spent around five hours in total since Friday searching online, unsuccessfully. I have checked several ebay sellers and around EIGHT websites of car part dealers in the UK. Not a single expansion tank for sale for a mk 3 Cavalier!!! Yet, the weird situation is this:

I HAVE found, literally, page after page after page of listings for expansion tanks for the Corsa, Astra, Insignia, Vivaro and Vectra (even for some early 1990s models)!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering - is there an expansion tank for a different Vauxhall model that would fit the available space and could be fixed to this mk 3 cavalier and connected to the various hoses etc.?

What else do you suggest to get this car back on the road.

Our local garage also tried unsuccessfully to acquire a suitable expansion tank - they did locate one online but it was for the petrol version and the wrong shape.

Coolant expansion tank - part no I believe to be: 90354740

Thanks
Mk3alan

Re: Cannot find a coolant expansion tank for mk 3 cavalier

Post by Mk3alan »

I can't seem to find the coolant tank part number for my 1990 2.0 8 valve but if yours is the same I bought a spare one from autovaux a while ago and it was cheaper than a second hand one!

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Will this do?

Looks like the one on my C18NZ / C20NE.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/VAUXHALL-CALIB ... 7003771724
alidoug

Post by alidoug »

Robsey wrote:Will this do?

This is one I found during my searches on ebay before and in one listing it indicated it would fit a cavalier then when I entered the vehicle details it showed up as NOT compatible. I have short-listed for now to investigate further. Thanks.
alidoug

Post by alidoug »

Mk3alan wrote:I can't seem to find the coolant tank part number for my 1990 2.0 8 valve but if yours is the same I bought a spare one from autovaux a while ago and it was cheaper than a second hand one!

Alan
I have just tried the autovaux site you suggested but not available now. Thanks anyway.
alidoug

Post by alidoug »

alidoug wrote:
Robsey wrote:Will this do?

This is one I found during my searches on ebay before and in one listing it indicated it would fit a cavalier then when I entered the vehicle details it showed up as NOT compatible. I have short-listed for now to investigate further. Thanks.
I have had another look at this one. Is your engine petrol or diesel? My dad's garage did find one but it was for a petrol engine and 'rectangular' in shape and did not fit my Dad's diesel engine. This looks more rectangular than 'basin shaped' as my dad describes his one over the phone. My dad is down in Kent and I am up in Cheshire. He has no internet or mobile phone so I cannot get a photo of what his looks like Doesn't help!

So maybe this expansion tank you suggest fits the petrol version but not diesel.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is for 8 valve petrol.

I didn't realise you were after a diesel header tank.
alidoug

Post by alidoug »

Yes, my dad's local garage had obtained the petrol version, probably the one you suggested like yours, not realizing he needed the diesel version. Thanks anyway!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

You could try the header tank from a MK2.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-mk2 ... Sw2gxYwRBd
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
T1BBST3R

Post by T1BBST3R »

Might be able to fix with some marine grade filler. Works for plastic canoes & boats...... ;

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/filler-pastes/mar ... iller.html
alidoug

Re: Cannot find coolant expansion tank for mk 3 cavalier die

Post by alidoug »

T1BBST3R wrote:Might be able to fix with some marine grade filler. Works for plastic canoes & boats...... ;

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/filler-pastes/mar ... iller.html
Thank you for this great tip. My dad asked a neighbour about this (he has a boat) and he came round and used his own filler and repaired the leak on the expansion tank. Waited 24 hrs, then he drove around locally with no leakage of coolant. Just returned home after a 500 mile round trip - no further leakage. Dad's car now back on the road so he greatly appreciates this solution.

He still would like to locate an expansion tank for a mk 3 cavalier DIESEL to keep in reserve.
alidoug

Post by alidoug »

Envoy CDX wrote:You could try the header tank from a MK2.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-mk2 ... Sw2gxYwRBd

Thanks for this tip. I have had a look and it does look very similar to the mk 3 diesel expansion tank. For the low cost on ebay dad might just buy this one and see if it fits. Meanwhile, another member here suggested using marine grade filler to repair the leak which we have done and it has worked so a great temporary fix that may well prove to be a permanent one.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

All the best fix’s start out as temporary & end up being permanent :)