V6 heater and radiator fan issue

Post queries that aren't covered by the other sections in 'The Workshop' here

Moderator: Robsey

th0m45

V6 heater and radiator fan issue

Post by th0m45 »

Hi guys, I've recently purchased a 94 Sri with a v6 fitted, everything was fine to begin with, but now I've got issues with the cooling fan and the interior heaters.

I've ruled out the heater resistor, tried another and still the same, I can feel warm air through my vents, I just can't adjust the temperature/speed etc.

Fan - it worked perfectly, one day in traffic it started getting rather warm so I put a wire to the battery to get me home then a while after it stopped working. Coincidence both stopped working roughly the same time or linked? I'm a bit stumped.

Is there a relay for either or both? All fuses are good.

Thanks,
Thomas.
Vauxhall Astra van - T22 JFF
Vauxhall Cavalier SRi - J551 AHJ
Cavalier342

Re: V6 heater and radiator fan issue

Post by Cavalier342 »

Bit of a strange one there, especially the cabin heater issue...

The only thing I can think of regarding the radiator fan is the V6 engines should have a thermal resistor which is attached to the fan housing, it controls the fan turning on/off, it could be that that's gone, they aren't easy to find, could well be worth replacing the much cheaper and easier to source big temperature sensor that bolts into the offside end of the rad, down towards the bottom as they can cause fan issues if they fail I believe.

Regarding the cabin heater, when you say you can't adjust the speed/temperature, when you pull the temperature slider across, does it feel loose or disconnected at all? There should be a little resistance and if you listen carefully you should be able to hear the flap open and close inside the dash when you pull it from cold to hot and back. And the speed control switch doesn't work at all? There is a fuse for it under the driver's side dash, can't remember which one exactly. No relays for the cabin heater. Does the cabin fan work at all? i.e. have you removed it and bypass the resistor to test the fan itself?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...