fuel tank trouble....

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
dazzlersri

fuel tank trouble....

Post by dazzlersri »

hi guys, whilst groveling around under my car the other day i noticed a lot of surface rust around the joints and fittings around the fuel tank, fuel stains and perished hoses. im gonna get a new tank and hoses, just wondered if anyones replaced a tank before and what it was like to do, im told its not too big a headache and just slides up past a lowered torsion beam.. this right ? and any rough prices anyone knows would be apprieciated too.. cheers guys..
K343 RRL 1992 SRi 8v SEH - RIP
L750 BUY 1994 4x4 turbo
madjim

Re: fuel tank trouble....

Post by madjim »

just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago, rang up local motor factors got one for about £70, was a easy job to fit about an hour, also replaced all the metal fuel pipes with plastic pipe, n fitted new rubber hoses
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I think your overestimating some people, i know i could have it done in a hour but if you havn't tackled a job like this before i would allow a good 3 hours to do it, have the least amount of fuel in the tank possible because a half full tank is a lot of weight

Id get the car as high as possible and get some penetrating fluid on the exhaust bolts before you start.
spex

Post by spex »

ive got issues with my fuel tank too. its leaking from around the pipe unions at the back (gone a bit rusty).
it only leaks out (slight) when the tank is full. i will be sorting it soon as!. i found a new tank on fueltanksdirect for about £70 delivered and im gonna get some new seals from vauxhall (pump/sender) and while im there i think replacing the fuel lines is a good idea!.
ive replaced tank units on many a car before (inc cavs) and its fair to do the job in a couple of hours.
its always best to run the tank down as far as you dare before removal, then slacken/remove the hanbrake cable, remove the exhaust and all relevant pipework and wiring from the tank, remove the straps and lower it down.

hope this helps.
dazzlersri

Post by dazzlersri »

brilliant cheers, thats the next job then.. got to re-new my handbrake cable anyway so ill do that at the same time. its frayed and eaten into the plastic cable guides on the ends of the torsion beam, anyone had this before ? gonna have a look out the scrapper for some replacements, dunno if they can be bought if i dont have any luck grave digging ! cheers..
L750 BUY 1994 4x4 turbo
Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

if you havnt done one before it can be a bit tricky mate.
madjim

Post by madjim »

er yer i may have forgot that have done this job a few times on many cars, so may take a bit longer
dazzlersri wrote:brilliant cheers, thats the next job then.. got to re-new my handbrake cable anyway so ill do that at the same time. its frayed and eaten into the plastic cable guides on the ends of the torsion beam, anyone had this before ? gonna have a look out the scrapper for some replacements, dunno if they can be bought if i dont have any luck grave digging ! cheers..
these plastic cable guides usually come with the new cables on a cav, got my cables for under £20, would recomend getting the new adjuster nut though as can be a pain when they seize
k1ngy

Post by k1ngy »

i emember taking the tank off the donor car i had it was bit of a tricky one as i didn't know my arse from my elbow then, but i know a thing or two now and the tank was treated with Qurustlats week and should be fitted by tuesday ready for my mot.
if i can ill take some pics and post them here
loving cavaliers since 1978
dazzlersri

Post by dazzlersri »

ok thanks, yea im no expert but pretty competant so gonna give it a go soon. cheers guys.. 8-)
L750 BUY 1994 4x4 turbo