Exhaust blowing.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
chrisash86

Exhaust blowing.

Post by chrisash86 »

Driving home tonight and the exhaust has started to sound like when the back box goes but it's sounding like that from the front of the system more or less underneath my seat ? It's a fairly new system so I am a little stuck to what it could be .
Cavalier342

Re: Exhaust blowing.

Post by Cavalier342 »

Another problem? I see you've recently asked about another issue you've had regarding the exhaust.

Have you checked the clamps and cat-to-manifold bolts to make sure they're all tight?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
colin1

Post by colin1 »

Who made your system?
Is it from an exhaust-fitting outlet or one that you've had made bespoke?
Let's start there
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

It's a custom made stainless steel system mid to rear section made by a company in Darlington all done by the previous owner the car has only done 1000 miles since it was fitted
colin1

Post by colin1 »

So a custom cat-back system
I've forgotten what the previous posters have said but I think it was similar to clamps and bolts holding the cat to the custom part of the system, I'd start there as well.

If the cat is getting on a bit, it might have sheared the junction that the back end bolts on to; could be age, could just be that the fitters were a bit too rough with it.

It's worth noting that the heat shield protecting the chassis from the immense heat of the cat can come adrift and give off some weirdy vibrations.

What's the name of the outfit (just out of interest)?

chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Managed to get the cav above a pit at work and it's the manifold pipe has split where it connects to the exhaust system! So do I get it welded or do I buy another manifold or a decent custom manifold ?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Depends on what your budget is to be honest, I'd personally think about getting a replacement manifold instead of repairing your one, as it's much easier and probably just as expensive, either way it'll have to be removed....
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

I can get a second hand manifold off eBay , or I have seen a sportex manifold does anyone know of a fairly decent manifold £100-300 ?
colin1

Post by colin1 »

chrisash86 wrote:I can get a second hand manifold off eBay , or I have seen a sportex manifold does anyone know of a fairly decent manifold £100-300 ?
A brand new Lexmaul will cost in the region of £300

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

As others have said, check for leaks before shelling out for new parts. Gaskets, clamps etc. might have come loose. If you have a small hole in the pipework, you might want to consider investing in a tub of Gun Gum and patching it up instead of emptying your wallet on new exhaust components. Potential quick fixes.
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Cheers for the advice but I managed to put it on a pit last night and it's a proper split away from where the exhaust system connects to the manifold so it will need welding so in two minds what to do
colin1

Post by colin1 »

Have you got a picture of the split?

If the system back hasn't been lined up properly, it can pull the rest of the system to one side - the brunt of the force falling on unions and joints; couple this with the crap the system normally puts up with in daily use and you can see in some cases why something's going to give eventually.

chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

It's right at the end of the manifold pipe, the system looks well fitted and the bloke who fitted seemed to know what he was doing ! No pics sorry pal, was planking to change the manifold at some point anyway ! Is it a big job to replace?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Nuts and bolts job, undo the exhaust first from the downpipe to cat, then undo the nuts holding the manifold to the engine block, lambda sensor, depending on how crusty the nuts are, maybe heat them up or use penetrating fluid spray. As it's at the front of the engine, it'll be easy enough to get to.
Previous:

chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Cheers pal ! Hopefully I will be able to do it myself