x20xev cat

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
ilovedmymantas

x20xev cat

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Can anyone tell me a part no. for my x20xev. I've tried ecat and I'm beginning to think I've developed a new previously unknown condition - ecotec blindness :?
Went to KF today ( you know who I mean ) for a couple of things. Blowing exhaust and two rear tyres with nails.
I thought the blowing was probably the cat to mid pipe "birds nest" gasket ring.
Not so :roll:
It's a hole , roughly 1/4" , just behind the flange on the cat side. I'm sure from what I saw a temp fix is a little paste in the hole and a jubilee clip as a sleeve.
I'm trying to source the parts myself to compare costs, the quote is £119.30 + £1.75 disposal ?(surely they should be paying me ?) If they're also replacing the gaskets then that might not be too bad, given how difficult I'd find it to do.
On the other hand I've got a broken stud that needs removed so I could replace them along with the gasket If I do it myself
just need to find the right one

p.s. they wouldn't touch the tyres. One had a slight bulge and the other was dated - 1994 !
I'm guessing it's the original spare for a 95 cav, :scratch need to check brand.
Bummer is they've both got tons of tread left but it's not a risk worth taking. Gives me a good excuse to order up my favourite uniroyal rainexperts :thumb
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: x20xev cat

Post by Robsey »

GM / Vauxhall / Opel part numbers are -

According to EPC4 and confirmed with Ecat24.

R1620165

The latter two codes appear to be recognised, but the first one is not listed on Ecat24.

Here you go...

http://www.cats2u.co.uk/37550/Catalytic ... VALIER/2.0
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks Robsey
A star as usual :thumb

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My pleasure -
I cannot guarantee the make or quality of the exhaust component in the list.
But you have all the relevant codes.

Apparently the original exhaust supplier for many Cavaliers was Bosal.
But being a superior quality, you would expect a pretty high price.

(I have always used Bosal and Walkers historically, but have not seen Walkers for some time).

If you want a very long lasting catalytic converter, you could try the TP Cats website.
They are non-ceramic parts.

https://www.tpcats.com/catalytic-conver ... A,Cavalier
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Well financially I'm logically forced into option b ( do it myself :roll: ).
I looked at tpcats but their image didn't look accurate or professional. I've got to spread the limited money to the car around as thinly as a shop-bought roll :) so I'm thinking fix lots, recover later.
cats2u was looking good then I found exactly what I was looking for :
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/catalyt ... 0092H.html
everything in one place

I've got
Catalytic Converter BM CATALYSTS BM90092H
Stud set, exhaust system FEBI BILSTEIN 17706
Nut set, exhaust manifold BOSAL 258-038
Gasket, exhaust downpipe WALKER 81120
Gasket, exhaust manifold ELRING 834.793

All for less than 75 quid delivered!

A rare moment when it all comes together :D

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I mentioned TP Cats, as this was one company recommended to me by Mr McGrath.

He had bought a naff cat previously, which had caused some running issues, but -
He had found that the unit offered by TP Cats to be of good qualityand had restored his Cavalier to running properly.

I am not sure how much a decent cat should cost these days... I have seen them for under £50, but then I have also seen Bosal units for over £100.
All I know is that my local, very well trusted tyre and exhaust supplier and fitter charged me about £230 for everything rear of the front down pipe - on a C18NZ / C20NE.
Not cheap, but it sounds nice and quiet.

(I steer clear of National and Kwik Fit, as they have gained a poor reputation in my area)
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote: I am not sure how much a decent cat should cost these days... I have seen them for under £50, but then I have also seen Bosal units for over £100.)
I have no idea either, I've never changed one before :lol: It seemed odd to me that a cat, with all its precious metals, was cheaper than lambda sensor. Somebody's making a killing !
I can't afford to 'buy twice' so I tend to research everything I buy in depth. Although I've yet to fit it, and the other parts, I'm very encouraged. The quality is very good and the full fitting kit is included.
http://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/
All the parts from mr auto have arrived and are the brands advertised.
-I'll post photos etc. on my wip when I get a window to do it.
Robsey wrote: I steer clear of National and Kwik Fit, as they have gained a poor reputation in my area)
:lol: I always stay clear of KF. They quoted me £476 worth of brake repairs. Did it myself for £56.
They are handy for identifying problems but It doesn't take long before they suss, thanks to networking :(
(I was refused a check because the manager knew I was going to do it myself !

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yup - Kwik Fit do like to quote around £500 worth of repairs...
Whether you need repairs or not.

Must be a company policy.

I am hoping that my cat will last a fair few years - but I suspect it won't last 20 years like the original one did.

Looking forward to the appraisal / write-up for your new cat in due course.

:grommit (neerest emoji I could find to a cat - ha ha )
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Err...
This write up is going to take a bit longer than expected.
I had to succumb to using the jack a little to get the downpipe bolts undone. That's when I discovered the cat I'd been quoted for probably wasn't essential for now :

Yes, It's the downpipe that's leaking and I can't get one of them sent out till Wednesday :x

["I can't afford to 'buy twice' so I tend to research everything I buy in depth."]
- guess I'll have to retract that statement now. Didn't even think to doubt a national exhaust fitter :roll:
It'll give me a chance to order new rubber mounts though (forgot last free order amount )

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt