Think i have a fuel starve prob

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
natt man

Think i have a fuel starve prob

Post by natt man »

Hey, i will try explain as best i can but im crap at explinations so bare with me.Ive recently noticed that when i put my foot down the car seems to hold back and not pull as hard as it should. ive tried both squeezing the throttle to max and just planting my foot down, makes no difference. lastnite i came off a roundabout in 2nd an put my foot down, usual story, seemed to hold back but then bang it took off like a rocket, almost as if the engine had vtec. tried it again and same thing, holding back for a bit then boom, off we go to the horizon. Im not to sure what could be causing this, i know the thermostat needs changed cause its jammed open and clutching at straws im thinking that the engine isnt warming up properly and just running like a car would first thing in the morning. anybody shed some light? cheers. ;)
DRIVES: Vauxhall Cavalier GLi 2L 8V NE
gsi dave

Re: Think i have a fuel starve prob

Post by gsi dave »

now mate try the throttle sensor ,with the ignition off from the under the bonnet open n close the throttle ,the sensor should click each time ,or check the intake hose for any splits
natt man

Post by natt man »

thanks mate. will give that a go and let u know. :D
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

What engine is it?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
natt man

Post by natt man »

sorry mate. its the 20NE
Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

has it got an induction kit on it with no cold air feed? this can cause this sort of problem.

it could always be down to your fuel, its most likely your fuel, go to any motor factors and get a good fuel cleaner.
natt man

Post by natt man »

no induction kit. although i havnt checked to see what kind of condition the air filter is in so i'll try that next. replaced the thermostat on sat, warms up nice n quick now. old one was stuck open as i suspected. gotta do the clutch before xmas. im told theyre not difficult so gona have a go myself.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

do the revs go up then the power comes in? sure it isnt just a slipping clutch?
Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

clutch on a C20NE is actually quite difficult as i believe you have to drop the gearbox? as when i got my clutch done because mine is the pre-facelift model i was told that it was alot easier as the later ones need to have box dropped?
natt man

Post by natt man »

do the revs go up then the power comes in? sure it isnt just a slipping clutch?
its not the clutch mate, im gona check the air filter over the weekend, see if maybe its dirty and restricting air flow or something.
clutch on a C20NE is actually quite difficult as i believe you have to drop the gearbox? as when i got my clutch done because mine is the pre-facelift model i was told that it was alot easier as the later ones need to have box dropped?
mine is the pre-facelift model. so hopefully i wont have to drop the box.
natt man

Post by natt man »

just a wee update. had a look at the air filter and its brand new so not that. im gona try changing the throttle sensor afta xmas and see what happens. i also took some advice and changed my brand of fuel, normally i fill up at asda cause its cheaper but i read someware (cant remember ware exactly) that some fuel brands perform worse than others. at first i thought 'yea rite' but tried it anyway and switched to esso fuel. dont know whether its psycological but the car does seem to run better on the different fuel. anybody had a similar experience with different fuels?
Rich P

Post by Rich P »

i find that asda 95 is better than tesco 97 on my car but esso etc is meant to be better,havnt tried it yet because its more expensive.

hope you get your problem fixed
Drives a 1989 Mk3 cav sri 2.0 8v SEH