Slightly high CO2 on emissions

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
soton

Slightly high CO2 on emissions

Post by soton »

This has probably been covered alot before but..

I've just come back with my cav from the MOT place and it did pass on the emissions but only just.

The pass mark for co2 is 0.30 and mine was right on 0.30 after 15 mins of him revving the crap out of it.

The HC was really low so that wasn't a problem.

Would would cause that?

I've changed the cat few months ago and it's always serviced regularly

Is it a simple case of chucking in some additives and taking it for a burn on the motorway before the test?

He did say possibly next year they might be phasing out on the emissions test as long as there is no eml on it will pass but he claims they think of a lot of things the change the MOT and never does come in.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks
Proud owner of a red 1992 Cavalier "Colorado"

Pics of my Cav
Spectralcav

Re: Slightly high CO2 on emissions

Post by Spectralcav »

Didn't think CO2 emissions were part of the MOT - Maybe you mean CO ?

Usually it's either the cat or the lambda sensor which causes high CO emissions. As your cat is quite new, I guess you can rule that out. How old is the Oxygen sensor?
soton

Post by soton »

Spectralcav wrote:Didn't think CO2 emissions were part of the MOT - Maybe you mean CO ?

Usually it's either the cat or the lambda sensor which causes high CO emissions. As your cat is quite new, I guess you can rule that out. How old is the Oxygen sensor?

Sorry yes you're right the CO.... both are new, well within a year new.. It's possible that it's not had a good hard run for a while

Poor cav was screaming while he was trying to pass the emissions... felt sorry for her

Pics of my Cav
Spectralcav

Post by Spectralcav »

At least it passed! Mine just failed :cry

I knew it would - just can't get a seal between manifold to cat (redtop) so it's blowing quite badly. Replaced the wire 'doughnut' gasket and tightened the 2 spring bolts as far as they'll go, but no joy...
Spectralcav

Post by Spectralcav »

Just passed :D

Failed fast idle test first time, but second time registered 0.124 CO with everything else well within limits.

Resorted to 'softening' the wire gasket with a hammer (lightly and just on the bevelled part) and sealed joint OK after that :p
soton

Post by soton »

Well done mate :)

Spectralcav wrote:Just passed :D

Failed fast idle test first time, but second time registered 0.124 CO with everything else well within limits.

Resorted to 'softening' the wire gasket with a hammer (lightly and just on the bevelled part) and sealed joint OK after that :p

Pics of my Cav
mini paul

Post by mini paul »

Was the car running at normal temp before the test?? if they not up to temp they will fail need to be nice and hot.Thats normally why they rev the hell out the car to get it hot,we used to drive the cars around for 10 mins before testing them at the garage i used to work at :)