What exhaust manifolds fit the 14NV (1.4L carb) engine?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
AndysMK3Cav

What exhaust manifolds fit the 14NV (1.4L carb) engine?

Post by AndysMK3Cav »

Hi

At the moment I have a standard exhaust manifold on my 1.4L Cav, it is the carburettor model which I think has the engine code of 14NV (is that right?). Would manifolds from other Vauxhall engines fit it? I'd like to fit a 4-2-1 style manifold for a bit more pep :) Am I right in thinking the engine is my Cav is the same as the one in a 1.4L Nova? Would a Nova 1.4 SRI be a potential source of a better flowing manifold?

How about this manifold for sale on this forum? viewtopic.php?p=140137#p140137

Apologies for the novice questions ;)
Cavalier342

Re: What exhaust manifolds fit the 14NV (1.4L carb) engine?

Post by Cavalier342 »

In my opinion, trying to increase power from a 1400cc engine in a large car is a bit like trying to make a gerbil run faster... Not gonna happen :lol: I doubt a manifold will help, maybe tweaking/cleaning the carb and a sports panel filter may help a little, but you won't see much improvement in the long run. :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

The 1.4 is the small block engine so I doubt any C20NE/20SEH/C20XE (big block) exhausts will fit.

If you seriously want more power but don't want to do an engine swap, look into getting a bigger carburettor.

If you are prepared to spend the money, then I think a custom exhaust is the only way to go really.
AndysMK3Cav

Post by AndysMK3Cav »

I'm looking at getting a Weber 32/34 to replace the Pierburg carb :)

I like the idea of doing something different than an engine swap and am already pleasantly surprised at how my Cav performs all things considered. I'd just a little bit more :) Plus you don't see many 1.4 Cavs about.

Having said that there's a Nova in a nearby breakers and looking at the pictures it has a redtop in it and various other performance orientated items fitted (induction kit, exhaust etc.). Also a big 'Seized By Police' sticker on it :lol:
planetc

Post by planetc »

Forget tuning a 1.4, if you don't want to change it the best way to improve the performance will be to reduce the weight it is carrying.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
AndysMK3Cav

Post by AndysMK3Cav »

planetc wrote:Forget tuning a 1.4, if you don't want to change it the best way to improve the performance will be to reduce the weight it is carrying.
You're right, I do need to diet :lol: