ECU address

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
Telegram Sam

Re: ECU address

Post by Telegram Sam »

Sorry I missed the last part of your post. I'll forward that to Mark
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My post had been updated to add the link. :-)
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Saga continues: Helpful lady at the Vauxhall Help Centre 0800 026 0034 referred me this morning to the Vauxhall "Heritage Centre" on 01582 426 527 Zoe Peacock and Andrew Boddy. Sounds promising. I think there should be a pot somewhere in the Forum database where all these priceless contacts should be stored!

If so it should include also "Vauxhall Obsolete Spares" on 01205 270 502
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

There is: the recommended automotive services section (again!). Vauxhall have fobbed you off. The Heritage Centre is a collection of old Griffins and press cars maintained by the manufacturer. I'm sure that Zoe is the fleet manager at Griffin House, Andrew is the chief mechanic at the Heritage Centre.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

May be if I am polite the Heritage Centre will put me in touch with the real technical gurus...
In the interim I would not object if you replaced Vaux Green Parts with Vaux Obsolete Spares in Rec Auto Services. I hardly think that the standing of the latter is enhanced by a recommendation of VGP.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:May be if I am polite the Heritage Centre will put me in touch with the real technical gurus...
In the interim I would not object if you replaced Vaux Green Parts with Vaux Obsolete Spares in Rec Auto Services. I hardly think that the standing of the latter is enhanced by a recommendation of VGP.
The Heritage Centre won't know who to send you to.

VGP will remain in the existing listings (unfair to remove a recommended service provider on the basis of one bad experience when so many others have used the firm to their advantage).

The details you provided for VOS is actually James Carpenter Car Accessories. Do you have personal experience of this company e.g. completed a purchase etc.?
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

The Heritage Centre are liasing with someone at Opel in Germany. >>See what results ... what else can I do other than pray?

All I know about VOP's is the phone no that the lady at the Vx Helpline gave me. The implication was that there was some particular association with Vauxhall

VGP's - I am too diplomatic to comment.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Robsey wrote:It will definitely be useful to know if and how they can help you.

They definitely hold a Damos file for your ECU.

Your search criteria is -
Opel
Vectra (as in Vectra-A).

It found a file directly matching your hardware number - 0261200378.
So things are looking promising.
Just a matter of finding someone who knows the specific attributes and their locations within the Damos file.
I am trying to "emulate" the route that you took, with mixed success, and have arrived via the "online ECU database" at
http://www.boschecus.com/bosch-02612003 ... ra-2-0-ecu
[the ... missing bits are 76-dme-opel-vect"]
which unfortunately comes up with hardware no 0261200376 (not ..8)
My tuning man says he can progress if it was possible to get hold of the Damos file (for 16 euros). So I am trying to work out why we have arrived at slightly different hardware numbers, and whichever is correct how to get hold of the relevant Damos file. A "technical" exercise ..
In the interim the powers that be in Vauxhall say that between them and Bosch they are unable to provide the answer so this database seems to be the last hope.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you follow my link...

tap on the Bosch tab
click on the manufacturer tab

the screen opens up and you get 4 option boxes.

left tab = manufacturer - select Opel

middle tab = model - select Vectra

right tab = engine -select 2.0

below the engine tab, you can select the ECU hardware number.

Type the hardware number there, and select.

a file will be provided with the option to purchase for €16
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I think that I am following you .. It looks like what you get for your 16 euros is all or nothing, massive great file, and after you click on PayPal there is the warning pop up that download doesn't = website. I kept going and on page 385 of the "Original ECU Files List" located 4.807, 4.808 and 4.809. Do you reckon that one or other of these is or contains the Damos file with the various addresses?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I didn't go that far into it, as didn't wish to spend 16 euros - ha ha.

I'll see what I can find out...

Suppose the other suggestion, is to give them a ring or e-mail on the website stating that you are having trouble downloading the correct file for your car.
I am sure that they will help if it means that they get another sale ;)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

4.808 and 4.809 both quote 2.0litre 8Valve code GE.
Now GE is a 20NE / C20NE Alpha Code.

4.807 quotes the same codes as 4.808 but omits the GE code.

Also the same program number for
4.795 - Vectra
4.755 - Omega
4.507 - Vectra-A C20NE Auto

These are all for 0261200376... not 8,

I think that they are the only 2.0 8V codes apart from a very old cavalier Mk2 (Ascona) code, which s clearly not an SEH...
probably an SE, I don't know for sure as it isn't clear.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

We noted earlier that there is a pile of queries in the forums but relatively few replies, so I don't know what help is available.
I've chickened out at this stage and forwarded the link to Automark for him to decide. Logically if 16 euros gets you the whole packet, bells & whistles, then if the true location isn't within one file then it will be in another. I hope.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Latest: It seems that the "Original ECU Files" are not the same as and do not contain the Damos file with the vital address. So I have saved myself 16 euros :) but am no further on towards getting the data :( There is a Damos subforum on the ECUTuning site so you would think that the answer would be there somewhere. But it must take higher intelligence to sus out how to get hold of it.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Either that, or they are not telling you because you are an enthusiast, not in the trade.

I see this a lot.
Some diagnostic / programming garages are very possessive of information.
They don't share with anyone because of their own self importance.

The BBA Reman forum is full of members like that.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I can't criticize the ECUTuning forum on this occasion (unless the Damos info is deliberately concealed). The missing Damos data was the conclusion that Automark came to, and he and I have an equal interest in getting hold of the file! I may go back to the ECU forum for a second or third attempt ... there is after all a dedicated Damos forum even if it contains more questions than answers.
Telegram Sam

Re: ECU address + operation

Post by Telegram Sam »

This "Robsey-style" topic has re-emerged in slightly different form

The engine will idle at 1000 rpm reasonably happily, when warm, in spite of the hi-lift cam. No problems. However ..

As long as I can remember back over the past 237 K miles, a feature has been that when changing from "drive" to "idle" mode - the transition - the revs drop to around 500 rpm momentarily and then jump up to say 1500 rpm before settling down to 1000 rpm. This happens for example in the last few yards of coasting to a halt before a junction.

What is now happening is that the system is frequently not quick enough at "catching" it as the revs drop, with the result that the car can experience repeated stalling. I have experienced this cutting out also when going slowly round a sharp curve when changing gear, while the engine is powering the power steering pump at low revs.

Increasing the idle speed is to my mind unlikely to be a solution, I suspect it will be something to do with how the ECU is programmed to manage the switch from active to idle mode. Which means getting Automark to delve into the electronics without knowing the address of the idle speed control, as described above.

Any ideas? WhatdoIdo?
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Give the ICV (idle control valve) a good clean with carb spray.

It's a common problem to which the ICV is usually the culprit.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:Give the ICV (idle control valve) a good clean with carb spray.

It's a common problem to which the ICV is usually the culprit.
^^^ What he said
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

If that is the round cap-like thing on the end of the horizontal hydraulic hose above the cylinder head then that is one of the checks which my GP garage did. He reported that it was as clean as a whistle. Also tried adjusting the richness of the mixture. No visible effect. I could ask him to do the carb spray clean anyway.

Considering that this characteristic has been with me in milder form since the car was new I'm wondering if it is unique to this car or if it is present less noticeably in other 20 SEH's or similar.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

ICV. Ordinarily plumbed into inlet manifold:

Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

You got it. Might it be possible for it to be gunged up inside without the gunge being visible?
I'm sure a carb spray clean wouldn't do any harm but considering how long the characteristic has been there I'm not betting on a cure (yet).
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Wynn's carb spray is what I have used to clean pretty much every mechanical part on my builds. It is especially good at cutting through grime, carbon, dirt, oil and other contaminants. It is the ideal remedy for a sticky valve.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Sounds like it's worth doing as a routine precaution anyway!
Telegram Sam

Stalling prior to idling

Post by Telegram Sam »

The source of the "problem" that emerged in this morning's investigation appeared to be nothing any more hi-tec than a dirty or clogged throttle body housing. Automark had drilled a hole in this previously to prevent the problem but the hole had got clogged up. Seems that the solution is to ensure that the housing gets thoroughly cleaned out at each service.

The address of the idle control setting on the ECU still remains a mystery. I was told that the "dipping revs" (may be there is a better description) is a feature of this engine. It still continues now but hopefully not enough to cause it to stall. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar (and what remedies were used to cure it)