Does anyone know what a TCU box is?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
ronnie1995

Does anyone know what a TCU box is?

Post by ronnie1995 »

Hi all,

Firstly happy new year to you!

It's been a while since i've been on here, since I have taken the Cavalier off the road for the winter.

Basically I got myself a Mk 4 Astra to get used to the gears (which i've passed and upgraded my licence by the way), and since has been nothing but trouble and wished I hadn't bothered buying it.
After reading up on some forums people have said it would be TCU related by the fault code, however I can't find what it is, as if it is the same as the ECU, I've already replaced it and had no luck.

So am just looking to get this problem sorted and get it sold so I can get the trusty cav back on the road, or perhaps get a diesel.

Cheers

Ron
Cavalier342

Re: Does anyone know what a TCU box is?

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm guessing Traction Control Unit? Though I have no idea why that belongs in an Astra...
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Can't really give you an answer without knowing as much as possible about -

Symptoms,
Fault codes,
What is affected - engine, brakes etc.

There is no traction control unit as such,
However some of the higher spec Astra's have ABS units with added traction control functionality.

No other "TCU" to speak of.
So it may indeed be your engine ECU.
ronnie1995

Post by ronnie1995 »

Robsey wrote:Can't really give you an answer without knowing as much as possible about -

Symptoms,
Fault codes,
What is affected - engine, brakes etc.

There is no traction control unit as such,
However some of the higher spec Astra's have ABS units with added traction control functionality.

No other "TCU" to speak of.
So it may indeed be your engine ECU.
Okay, basically the main fault is juddering on acceleration/low speed. It also often really lacks power and is difficult to get going so have to hold on the clutch and rev up the engine more than would be normal.
Last tuesday it got really bad and the engine management light was flashing and wouldn't hardly budge, the revs were restricted and was misfiring badly.
The light comes on and off randomly, sometimes it will drive fine and other times drives awful.
Very horrible driving in traffic/in town as end up doing quite a bit of bunny hopping, also roundabouts tend to be quite a daring task.

The fault code is p0202. Have switched injectors over to test and the fault is the same code, the wiring looks fine and have replaced ECU but no difference.

Cheers
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Is it an X20XEV? That fault code is a problem with the voltage on cylinder #2 injector. Often, it's a dirty plug, or the clip(s) holding the injector(s) in place are missing/loose. Try cleaning the plug contacts, reseating the injectors, and try swapping the injector in cylinder #2 with one of the others to eliminate any possibility of it being a problem with the injector itself.
ronnie1995

Post by ronnie1995 »

Hi there, The engine is the 1.6 8v, its also a dual fuel version (reason I bought it in the first place).

Have tried swapping various injectors over and checked voltages with meter but the fault code hasn't changed through doing this.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sure sounds like the wiring to the No 2 injector.
You can get repair kits for this.

I bought one for our Vectra-C 1.9cdti.
Another engine that used to suffer from a dodgy injector connector.
Normally the wiring looks sound, but the connector may exhibit some heat damage.

The symptoms you suggest do indicate a misfire, and code p0202 points directly to injector No 2.
Look closely at the connector itself.